• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody have experience turbocharging a 3.0 here?

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Need to know if i can just flip the headers up or foward and make flanges for the turbos off the stock manifolds (1994 3.0). Thinking two cheap junkyard turbos with internal wastegates mounted high enough to drain into the valve covers. Another question, if i set both turbos to 5 psi is it going to go up to 10 psi or even out to 5psi with the internal wastegates. In my head since theres no wastegate on the charge pipe its going to go up to 10 which i don't want.

Will the maf hold up to 5 psi without breaking? Also will the stock injectors keep up with 5psi. I have alot of what i need to get this done. Wondering if a fmu is a good idea or if the stock injectors and maf sensor can keep up with it themselfs

But my idea with the twin turbos is for two reasons:
1. I feel the vw/Audi turbo's exhaust side is way to tiny to push 6 cylinders through. Ive got one from the junkyard and its really tiny.
2. Exhaust seems like it would be way simpler, no crossover pipe between the manifolds and with two turbos you can run the exhaust back into the stock y pipe keeping the oxygen sensors where they were before.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

nesralyrrej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 s/c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Make it fast, Make it loud.
I don't know if the headers can be flipped, but if the internal wastegates have a 5# springs in them, the truck will only make 5 pounds of boost. The charge pipe only releases boost when it spikes the vacuum because the throttle plate closed (needs to be recirculated or your maf will spike and run rich as hell for a second) I personally believe the stock injectors and and mass air will keep up decently, but to make a noticeable amount of power, larger injectors and a tune would be needed. The tiny vw turbos would, in my mind, create immense back pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Another question, how would the stock fuel pressure regulator react to boost? Would it mess it up? I know the brake booster has some type of valve on it that will keep it safe.

I was also at the junkyard the other day and was looking at 3.0 Taurus's. Their manifolds look perfect for making turbo manifolds

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would this be for your 94?

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Would this be for your 94?
Yes, its got a newer 3.0 in it now, i believe its from a 2002. Ive removed the coolant overflow and windsheild washer tank to make room. May be pulling all of the a/c parts and even the blower motor since it doesnt work

Last edited:

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anybody know what i can use for an oil feed? I was going to use the oil pressure sending unit but its m14-1.5 and would need to go down to -4an line and its impossible to find a tee block for it

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The sensor thread size is 1/4 npt. Summit has a bunch of fittings that will work, for it. Home depot has a tee for the size and you need a double sided nipple to thread into the block. Ill be doing a build thread on this

DrewZee87T

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4*4 XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I wish you guys would quit characterizing Blow-Off Valves as wastegates. It really confuses things. Wastegate let's exhaust bypass the hot-side turbine when boost pressure exceeds mechanical or controlled mechanical setting. Blow-off valve uses vacuum signal from intake to "blow-off" excess boost intake charge to atmosphere or recirculate to intake pipes before the throttle body in order to reduce turbo surge and related reversing forces on the turbo compressor when you slam shut the throttle. Keeps the turbo spinning between shifts better.

My input on a 30 year old thread :)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Real men do not use waste gates.

Fight me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals