• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lots and lots of questions!!!

Reikat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So... to start off, a little background about my situation. I have a 1990 Bronco II. 2.9L with just over 150k now, 5 speed manual, 4x4 automatic transfer case.

I have had it for just over a year now and it has been really trusty for me. By that I mean I drive it over 1500 miles a month and I drive the hell out of it sometimes, and it has never failed to start, and I have never been stranded. All in all it has cost me around 2000 with the price of the truck, new optima red top, brand new Goodyear Wranglers, clean interior, head unit, etc.

I REALLY like it and plan to keep it as long as POSSIBLE!!! lol

However, recently the engine has been having problems, devoloped a tick, no oil pressure at idle, and just feels kinda run down over all. I'm sure some of you can understand what I mean by that. I also discovered a few rust spots that were filled in with bondo that are now starting to bubble up. I plan on fixing that when I get everything else solid.

So my questions are... any answers involving links to specific things are awesome... I love it when things are easy!

How much do you think it would cost to have a shop fully rebuild my 2.9. I'm not looking for massive perfomance gains, just a solid reliable engine that will get me down the road and not tick like crazy. That I can also count on off road. is it possible to make these engine bullet proof? Can anyone point me in the right direction to a rebuild/upgrade kit?

On that aspect... I have been trying to find upgraded heads that aren't going to have the same problems as the factory ones, I found the company "world" but apparently they no longer produce them :icon_confused:

Also I'm really curious what transmission my truck most likely has so I can buy a rebuild kit for it just to make sure it's going to be strong and stand up offroad. (any place recomended to buy one from) I'm pretty sure it has the dana 35 front end based on the size and the bolt pattern, but can't figure out what tranny it has.

What do you guys recomend for gear sizes front and rear... I don't want too extreme because it's kinda my daily driver, but I feel that it could use a little perk with the little 2.9. Will that affect the speedo... will I have to adjust it? and how?

Also, I'm looking for after market bumpers (tube style if at all possible) as mine are starting to rust a bit, and I want to put a winch on it. But a google search returns no solid results... duff offroad doesn't have a front bumper and I don't really want to have the spare tire carrier on it. Any sites you guys can think of that make them or will I have to crack out the welder? (I'd rather not make one myself due to time, lack of materials and I'm not the best welder... lol)

I plan on a 4- 6 inch lift, probaly little, to no body lift and 33x12.5 tires

is there anything else I should worry about? anything with the factory front end or suspension components that wouldn't usually be replace with a lift?

Thanks so much to anyone who can give me any advice... :yahoo:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For the motor problems research a 4.0 conversion, a great experience by a lot of people.

33's with a 2.9 needs 4:50 to 4:88 with a 4.0 4:10 to 4:50

Congratulations on the 35 that 28 is really weak.

On the bumper there is a lot of homemade stuff on the B2 mail order is more the Jeep crowd.I think you could watch the for sale places like here.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 swap it... end of story. you'll love it!
bumper-- make one.. or mod a jeep one to fit (some of them are about the same width, research and measure b4 you buy)
suspension- get a GOOD lift... or piece one together. any store bought lift is lacking something it needs...
regearing will affect the speedo, you'll need the right gear for the VSS.
once again, research and tech library. lots of good info here already just dig it up.

Reikat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not completely opposed to doing the 4.0 swap. I just don't have the tools or really all of the know how to do it. A shop would undoubtedly charge a butt load to do it?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah. shops bend you over all day long IMO..

all you need is basic tools and a engine lift really.. with yours being a 90 you have the perfect b2 for it.. the dash is already right. almost plug and play... almost. research it before you decided to spend money on that 2.9. i'm telling you man. that 4.0 is perfect in a b2. its freakin awesome! the way it should have came from ford!

Reikat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well I found a 93 explorer with a 4.0 that has been rebuilt for 700 bucks... but it's auto and 4 door. will my transmission and everything bolt up to it?

do I have to get it tuned? and what about AC and sealing the AC system?

JTothII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
grab a couple cold beers scroll to the top of the page and click on "tech library" damn near any question you could come up with is answered there plus it's a great read

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just to add to what everyone else has said.

4.0 swap. End of story. Dont waste more money on a weaker motor.

You should have an FM-146 tranny. People say they are weaker than the 4.0's M5OD manual, but I have had no trouble out of mine.

Bumpers, go to Harbor Freight and buy a $100 welder and a $100 pipe bender and build away for less than the cost of ordering one bumper.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just to add to what everyone else has said.

4.0 swap. End of story. Dont waste more money on a weaker motor.

You should have an FM-146 tranny. People say they are weaker than the 4.0's M5OD manual, but I have had no trouble out of mine.

Bumpers, go to Harbor Freight and buy a $100 welder and a $100 pipe bender and build away for less than the cost of ordering one bumper.
what he said

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 93 is a find if thats what your asking.I believe that it's a pretty easy exchange I believe research will make you smile.

Reikat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah I've done some pretty serious research on the 4.0 swap. I've read most of the articles in the tech library multiple times. There is just so much that I'm unlear on that I don't want to deal with if problems arise. For instance the transmission bolting up... and the battery having to moved to the back? and there is no real straight answers on the wiring. I think I finally came to the conclusion that no years wiring harness will just plug in... which means I have to splice wiring and all that. Which that's what scares me about doing anything to my truck, or any car... messing with all the plugs and wires and sensors... Lastly there is no solid build that has pictures included! I need pictures so I can see what I'm about to get into... lol

I'm also worried about getting another engine with significant mils on it and havign another set of problems... ugh... but I want a reliable AND capable truck... I guess I might just have to grow some scrotes and just dive into it... I have some friends who will probably help...
:beer:

as far as the welder and pipe bender I think I might do that... I'll work on my welding skill a bit... cause in my area everyone wants to offroad and modify their rigs, so I could make a killing fabbing bumpers... not to mention welding metal back on my truck where there is rust... :annoyed: :icon_welder:

where can I get pipe that will be good for it? lowe's wouldn't have anything like that would they (never really looked)

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can get pipe at any hardware store.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Swap in the d35 and 8.8 from the Ex also. And unless you already have a lift swap in the Ex springs also. Might also want to go with Ex t-case unless yours is a manual case.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it was built after 9/89 it'll have the M5OD and D35. The 4.0 swap is awesome. You'll also need a 4.0 clutch and flywheel. Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals