• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Usage tax.

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So MN is looking into a road usage tax due to loss of revenue caused by Hybrids not having to pay as much in gas tax. So how would this work you ask? By installing a gps in your vehicle to record your mileage :annoyed: not happening on my vehicle cause I could def see them say "well since we have the technology already in place, this would be a great way to crack down on speeding". Not that the ranger speeds just don't like anymore government. I'd rather pay a estimated fee or have to stop in every quarter at a registered shop or something and have them submit my mileage reading. Rant over. Hope you all have a Happy Easter weekend

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Personally I regard that as a violation of the 4th Amendment but the Constitution doesn't seem to get in the way of the govt doing what it wants to do any more.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
Vote Democrat.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Vote for obama or America you cant have both.

Meddle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where did you see this.I did a search and couldn't find anything.
I highly doubt they would do this.The costs for hardware and software for tracking would be huge,plus the manpower to run it.
Politicians are not keen on pissing off voters and this would do that.There are a hundred easier ways to take your money with less cost and hassle.
This whole thing smells of a hoax to get people riled up over nothing.

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
MN isn't the only state looking to do that. Too much GOVT!!!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think they had as least discussed it here in Wis but relied on you reporting your mileage each year, no GPS or electronics. They would just add in most government workers for the paperwork and things just keep getting worse. Seems like its always the taxpayers who have to make up the difference for bad, ineffective government.
Dave

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds too far fetched to be hoax. The government cant make us buy any product GPS or health care. If we dont repeal health care everything is open game they say for the common good.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I just got a 10% reduction in my car insurance by giving State Farm access to my Onstar readout. I'd guess most all newer vehicles have Onstar or Sync or ??

However it couldn't be too much of a revenue raiser.....the Minnesota winter would cut the range of most electrics to about 20 miles a day:icon_rofl:

Besides, if you are a Green Idiot that has enough money to buy one you are the type that WANTS to pay their fair share....:icon_twisted:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just got a 10% reduction in my car insurance by giving State Farm access to my Onstar readout. I'd guess most all newer vehicles have Onstar or Sync or ??
Sync doesn't do things like that. Pretty much it just operates thru your cell phone/mp3 player.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I thought at first this was about the "Use Tax" for items that you have to report on your taxes bought over the internet or out of state.

As for your state finding other means to collect more, that just sucks. So a hybrid gets better MPG and so doesn't use much fuel. Wouldn't it be double taxing if they go through with it. Or even triple taxing?!?!

Here is my thinking:
1. Pay income tax
2. Pay road tax with each fuel up
3. Pay vehicle tags tax
4. And now pay "Usage tax" for miles driven on state roads.

So really, just to drive a vehicle, I'm already getting taxed 3 times. Thou driving is optional, so if I don't want to pay for those taxes, I don't drive. :annoyed: Ballz, my head hurts now.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought at first this was about the "Use Tax" for items that you have to report on your taxes bought over the internet or out of state.

As for your state finding other means to collect more, that just sucks. So a hybrid gets better MPG and so doesn't use much fuel. Wouldn't it be double taxing if they go through with it. Or even triple taxing?!?!

Here is my thinking:
1. Pay income tax
2. Pay road tax with each fuel up
3. Pay vehicle tags tax
4. And now pay "Usage tax" for miles driven on state roads.

So really, just to drive a vehicle, I'm already getting taxed 3 times. Thou driving is optional, so if I don't want to pay for those taxes, I don't drive. :annoyed: Ballz, my head hurts now.
Glad you did the thinking:icon_rofl:
It seems that this would be a concern; the more that go green, the less gas tax [as well as other taxes] that the government gets. You could recoup some from higher reg. fees and slightly higher gas taxes. Perhaps a toll on each major and/or minor road for upkeep would be better? It might create a lot more over-payed [government sponsored = more taxes] jobs.

Richard

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Personally I think we have plates that STAY WITH THE VEHICLE and pay a road tax based on engine size like in the UK. That is just me though. Let the flogging begin.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
My tag tax is enough as it is. In Oklahoma, its based upon the age of the vehicle. For my 1996 Ranger, it is about $60. For my 2006 KLX250s (motorcycle), it is about $100. And I got to pay those each year.

I wonder if the state can implament a RF chip on vehicles. A small device that can hook up to the PCM (ECU) of the vehicle and just log the mileage. Then when you drive under a special a reader, it transmit your mileage log to the state. Thats one way of doing it without using a GPS tracker. Thou it would suck if you drive a year avoiding that reader and then get caught under one. Just to see a nice big tax letter in the mail later on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals