Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Styling & Electrical > Exterior

Notices

Exterior Paint, graphics, fiberglass panels, fender flares, bed covers and other body bolt on's

Old 01-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Mirage775

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab FX4
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
Mirage775 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Tire Swing Out or Modify One for a Jeep?

I've been thinking about adding a Rear Tire Swing/Jerry Can holder to my truck. Since there aren't any bumpers like this, that are made for a Ranger anymore, I had originally thought about buying Affordable Offroad's 98-11 Rear Bumper and welding all the necessary bits on it to have the swing and holder. I found a couple of YouTube videos that show a "How-To" for this option.

I've thought about buying the Hitchgate, but it's $800+ alone....

Or could I buy a Jeep XJ Cherokee rear bumper with a tire swing already built for said bumper and just weld up some brackets for it, that mounted it to the Rangers' frame?

I have tons of ideas for this, just don't want to blow lots of money or waste time/steel attempting them.

Would appreciate anybody's thought on this idea?

Thanks!

2003 Supercab, FX4, 4.0, 5 speed, Loaded. (2011 Facelift)

Last edited by Mirage775; 01-19-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Mirage775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I could probably build something similar to a Hitchgate for about $100.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Mirage775

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I could probably build something similar to a Hitchgate for about $100.
If you lived a little closer to me, I probably would take you up on that offer! I don't really like how the Hitchgate mounts. I mean it looks like an easy solution to get your spare tire mounted to the rear of the truck, but the price for what it is, is just ridiculous!

Old 01-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Uncle Gump

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Model: Ranger Sport
I use this vehicle for: Putting Chicago in my rearview mirror
My credo: Lead, Follow or get out of my way
Uncle Gump is on a distinguished road

My goal is to have a swing out tire carrier too. I also have a cap on my truck... and I would like to be able to open the rear of the cap without swinging the tire out of the way first. My thoughts are that it will require something custom built to allow clearance. I plan to start with a set of Affordable Off Road bumpers and just free style to make them do what I want them to do.

You might want to just contact AOR and see what they would charge to just add a tire carrier to their rear bumper.

Edit... For some DIY inspiration... look at jimmyspy's build thread. He built a custom bumper and a swing out tire carrier. You may get some ideas from there.

Last edited by Uncle Gump; 01-20-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Uncle Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Bird76Mojo

Vehicle Year: 2001 & 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge 4x4 - 87 302 swap
I use this vehicle for: Everything!
My credo: Good enough
Bird76Mojo is on a distinguished road

It's been done before using a Bronco II tire carrier. It is a lot of work though. A bumper with a swing-out carrier would be easier in my opinion.

GB
Old 01-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Mirage775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gump View Post
My goal is to have a swing out tire carrier too. I also have a cap on my truck... and I would like to be able to open the rear of the cap without swinging the tire out of the way first. My thoughts are that it will require something custom built to allow clearance. I plan to start with a set of Affordable Off Road bumpers and just free style to make them do what I want them to do.

You might want to just contact AOR and see what they would charge to just add a tire carrier to their rear bumper.

Edit... For some DIY inspiration... look at jimmyspy's build thread. He built a custom bumper and a swing out tire carrier. You may get some ideas from there.
I've seen a tire carrier that drops downward, but doesn't swing. I just put a camper shell on my truck last week, after searching for a used one for about 2 years! I don't mind having to swing it out of the way to access the camper door

I think the guys at AOR got tired of answering my questions, LOL, as I haven't heard from them in a couple of weeks, but I'll shoot them a message on Facebook about adding a tire swing for me. The way I see it, I'll have to pay for one, regardless of who builds it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird76Mojo View Post
It's been done before using a Bronco II tire carrier. It is a lot of work though. A bumper with a swing-out carrier would be easier in my opinion.

GB
Yep, I saw some pics of a Bronco II carrier on a Ranger, but it was the old square body style... I didn't see any on a 98-up Ranger. Doesn't matter, those carriers are impossible to find around here anyway... I saw one for sale locally, years ago, but it was like $250-$300!

Old 01-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #7
Bird76Mojo

Vehicle Year: 2001 & 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge 4x4 - 87 302 swap
I use this vehicle for: Everything!
My credo: Good enough
Bird76Mojo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage775 View Post
Doesn't matter, those carriers are impossible to find around here anyway... I saw one for sale locally, years ago, but it was like $250-$300!

I've got more of them than I can count and I know where at least 6-8 more are located. lol The last one I sold, I got $175.

GB
Old 01-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage775 View Post
Doesn't matter, those carriers are impossible to find around here anyway... I saw one for sale locally, years ago, but it was like $250-$300!
I have a couple and I can't give the stupid things away.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #9
91stranger

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER EXT CAB 3.0
I use this vehicle for: daily driving
91stranger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I have a couple and I can't give the stupid things away.
I'd take a couple free ones. I'm all about free stuff lol. If your ever in Central Ohio let me know in advance b/c I'd be interested in buying one if you weren't asking much for them. Also to the OP, they make hitch mounted spare tire carriers. Not sure if you have a hitch or if this would be an option but these are out there and you could modify them too. Would be a simple bolt on design if you wanted to test the waters.