• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Safety Recalls

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I heard on the news this morning that of over 17 million Ford's affected by safety recalls model year 1995 and up Ford estimates less than 40% have been serviced for the recall. Several of these recalls are for vehicles catching on fire.

Many of these cars are unserviced because Ford can't find the current owner.

If you own a Ford, year 1995 or newer, particularly Crown Vics, E and F series, and Rangers, and want to know if it currently has an open safety recall, PM me your VIN and I will run it through Ford's system and see.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I bought my 99 Ranger new July 99 and I have never had Ford notify me of anything. Firestone did. Firestone sent me a warning about the tires I had on my truck.I got rid of my Firestone crap tires and Firestone sent me a check for $260 after I filled out the info they requested fro me. I sent them the tire serial numbers and they were very prompt about sending me a check withing a few weeks.

Anybody else know about this or did the same as I did?

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
ford replaced the tires and firestone also gave you $260?
I just got 4 goodyear wrangler AT/S 265/75/16's even though the firestones were 245's. I ask the technician and he said, "sure, no problem!" of course, at the time, my truck was only about a month old.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Is the TSB about the leaking brake master cylinder??
SVT

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is the TSB about the leaking brake master cylinder??
SVT
TSBs are NOT recalls (or Field Service Actions/FSA's as Ford calls them). A TSB is a bulletin, for the service department, to help with diagnosing common problems so that we don't spend hours wasting time go over the same territory that a lot of other people have. A recall is when the guys at engineering realize they have a major issue that can cause serious performance deficiencies or safety issues, even if the system is operating "properly" in its original configuration, and then send out letters to the owners of the affected vehicles to come in and get it fixed for free.

But yes, one of the bigger ones is the leaking brake pressure switch in the master cylinder. There is also another "burn job" as we call them in the shops that affects Escape ABS modules as well.

Last edited:

rrbrian222

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Go figure, I have the 2009 letter from Ford about the speed control switch on the master cylinder.

Here's some of what is says:

Issue: Ford cannot be confident that over many years in service, a speed control deactivation switch installed on your vehicle will not leak brake fluid, posing a risk of fire. This condition may occur either when the vehicle is parked or when it is being operated. This risk exists on vehicles equipped with or without speed control.

Fix: Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to perform repairs under this program on your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor).

I guess I should finally call and get this fixed, and stop being one of the 60% who hasn't responded to the safety recall, lol.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I guess I should finally call and get this fixed, and stop being one of the 60% who hasn't responded to the safety recall, lol.
Promoting safety by helping people get these recalls done if they haven't been already is roughly the point of this thread.

Go on down and get'er done. It takes about half an hour.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I heard on the news this morning that of over 17 million Ford's affected by safety recalls model year 1995 and up Ford estimates less than 40% have been serviced for the recall. Several of these recalls are for vehicles catching on fire.

Many of these cars are unserviced because Ford can't find the current owner.

If you own a Ford, year 1995 or newer, particularly Crown Vics, E and F series, and Rangers, and want to know if it currently has an open safety recall, PM me your VIN and I will run it through Ford's system and see.
whats the recall for?

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i remember a recall years ago for ford rangers, it was some switch in the steering collom that could catch on fire, funny thing is right before the recall, the trucks headlights wont come on except in highbeam mode, it was not fun driving on the highway having everyone flash us for highbeams, or people staying back cause we dont got headlights on. we went to the dealer and were surprised that the truck didn't burn up, i looked at the part they removed and noticed it was burned. yea, id recomend go doing the recall, i got an 2001 f-150 sitting in my driveway, i should probly go get its vin, but my dad says he already had it taken to the dealer for a recall before parking it at my house. i did know the f-150 had a bad battery drain, but it seems to be gone now.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
i remember when i 1st heard about this We actually got an appointment to the shop before the letter arrived. and we had to wait a few weeks because all of the replacement parts were out of stock because everybody brought there vehicles in for recall.

then i bought a 97 ranger a few weeks ago and the 1st day i got it home i went to the ford dealer and had them check for outstanding recalls but there was none.

also the reason why 60% have not been fixed could be because a good percentage are not even on the road anymore we get alot of crownvics fseries and rangers of that generation in my junkyard.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
ford replaced the tires and firestone also gave you $260?
I just got 4 goodyear wrangler AT/S 265/75/16's even though the firestones were 245's. I ask the technician and he said, "sure, no problem!" of course, at the time, my truck was only about a month old.

I bought a new set of tires at Tire kingdom after Firestone sent me the paper work of the recall and then I filled out the paperwork mailed it back and informed them them about a new tire purchase and sent them the receipt for the tires I purchased and I added the serial numbers of the Firestone tires I had replaced. Tire Kingdom made me copies of the receipt so I was protected with a warranty with my new tires. Tire Kingdom was really great on helping me out with the Firestone recall.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Go figure, I have the 2009 letter from Ford about the speed control switch on the master cylinder.

Here's some of what is says:

Issue: Ford cannot be confident that over many years in service, a speed control deactivation switch installed on your vehicle will not leak brake fluid, posing a risk of fire. This condition may occur either when the vehicle is parked or when it is being operated. This risk exists on vehicles equipped with or without speed control.

Fix: Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to perform repairs under this program on your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor).

My switch is leaking and my mechanic said there was a possible recall on this. Called 2 dealerships and they said no open recalls on my VIN but my truck may be too old anyway? It is a 99. Also, does anyone have the part number for this part? Was told it was a Ford only part and the only part number I could find was 9f924 (which I think is just a partial part number). Is this a plug and play repair or is there wire splicing or brake bleeding involved?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need to get the fuel tank straps checked out on my '150... I want to get it regeared first so I can have the speedo reset while it is there though. They look ok to me but it would be nice to quit getting letters from Ford. Hoping to get the rear done this weekend. So maybe next week. :icon_thumby:

I hear Ford is starting to get stingy about fixing the older stuff. If your switch melts and burns the paint off your hood they don't care about the hood anymore. People have a hard time running it through insurance because it has been in the media for what 7 years now? For some reason they think that is long enough to get something done...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals