• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4 wheel steer HMMWV

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
has anyone else crawled under a HMMWV and wondered why the hell AMG wasted time with ball jointed knuckles out back and simply tied them to the frame to keep 'em pointed straight ahead? a quick glance at the parts manual verifies that the very same steering knuckle is used on all 4's. would it really be that difficult to order the steering linkage used up front and a second steering gear and mount it up out back?

Maybe I'm behind the times and its already been done. Its just something I've wondered about since the first time i ever crawled under one nearly 5 years ago.

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Another glance at the parts manual shows that the lower control arms are the same front to back so there should be plenty of room for the steering linkage.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
so ur wanting to do this on ur ranger lol i think it would work if u had 2 steering axles but u gotta flip the gears over in the rear lol. should work tho with the right axles and a hydro pump thingy in the back haha

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Don't flip the gears over, just turn it backwards and it will run the right direction.

Remember that 2 steering axles will have offset differentials.

If you used like an old dana/spicer 18 or dana/spicer 20 or even an old LandCruiser tcase that has both front and rear outputs off to the passenger side, and a chev pass drop front diff up front and a Ford drivers drop front diff out back it would even have the drive shafts in line with each flange to eliminate funky drive shaft angles that would be caused with the centered rear output on a standard tcase and offset differential on a reversed front diff out back.

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is too short for cheap beer.
If somebody builds this, it deserves it's own tread!! :icon_cheers:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree. I would love to see that!

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I only say that since I'm an Army maintenance guy and I think that the HMMWV is only good for catching RPGs. :icon_cheers:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
If someone did build it, it wouldnt be much of a thread, like i said, the rear axle is already essentially a steer axle, all thats missing is a linkage, a gear, something to turn the gear, and fluid lines. the biggest thing stopping me from doing it is getting the appropriate signatures on a MWO to do it.

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If someone did build it, it wouldnt be much of a thread, like i said, the rear axle is already essentially a steer axle, all thats missing is a linkage, a gear, something to turn the gear, and fluid lines. the biggest thing stopping me from doing it is getting the appropriate signatures on a MWO to do it.
Draw up the plans and send it to AM General. They could use some fresh ideas like yesterday since the Army's going to something different to replace the HMMWV. Once the steering gear box is mounted and the linkage is connected, use a solid-mounted ball valve coupled to the rear steering gear box for directional control and run the hydraulic lines down the already crowded frame rail to feed it the pressure. It could actually make that thing into a 'wheeler for once!:icon_cheers:

MakerOfBeast

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they wasted the time making it that was so you could use parts of any corner to fix any other corner of the vehicle, of coarse if have the truck gets blown off.....

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
^^^ Bingo, why make 2 spare parts when you only need 1? And steering gear from up front installed out back would interfere with the driveline would it not?

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4 wheel steering generally blows. All that extra slop in the tie rods and junk makes for a hairy ride.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
I owned one of these and it was 4 wheel steer by selection?

You could make it front wheel steer, rear steer or all wheel steer. That was the only nice part of the hunk of metal..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals