• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedometer/Odometer Question

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Recently changed the gear ratio 3.45 to 3.73 on my 92 Ranger. Tire size is 235/70R14. I extended the speedometer cable to connect with my recent install (BW1350 Transfer Case) and replaced the 18 tooth gear with a 19 tooth gear to slow the speed of the needle on the speedometer.

Now, here is my question.
I used my GPS to measure my speed in order to check it with my speedometer. I found I was 1mph slower on the speedometer (Difference in GPS and visual on the speedometer) over a 14mile drive at varied speeds.

I set my trip indicator on the truck to 00.0 and started the GPS at OO.0. I traveled 14 miles according to the GPS and 13.3 on my trip indicator. It seems that being off 0.7 miles over a 14mile trip is driving me nuts (I think I am too anal retentive). Anyway, if I increase the number of teeth, then that slows things down even more. Sooooooo, what say you:icon_confused:

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My gps unit is forever showing my speed(when i use the damn thing) as being 5kph slower then what i am actually doing.

I would double check with a second gps unit or have a buddy follow you.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have a gps, but if I did it would have gone out the window by now. True distance travelled would depend on exactly where on the road you were driving, inside or outside lane of a bend etc would affect true distance travelled and most gps will not be accurate enough to determine that.

Fords4ever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1992/1999
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/Dodg
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks...guess I will go out to the hwy and measure mile markers for a while...kinda like watching paint drying on the walls:icon_twisted:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals