• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

General Grabber AT2's or BFG AT's????

jaxsage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is just another redundant tire question, because "BFG AT's" are the best, but.. I need new tires for my ranger. I am between the General Grabber AT2's and BFG AT's. I have BFG AT's right now and I absolutely love them. I am just trying to save some coin so I am thinking about going with the Generals. And I also don't think I need a 10-ply tire. I need an all terrain tire to use all year round but one that is also snowflake approved for the Oregon chain law. I spend all winter in the mountains in the snow. Does anyone have any experience with the Generals in the snow? Or does anyone know of any other all-terrain tire that is snow approved?

Oh yeah, I am shooting for 265 70/16's.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think the AT2 is the only severe snow rated tire on that short list. They are a fine tire as are the Toyo Open Country AT's/

baadboy11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've got the grabber at2 on my tacoma, and love them. The tread is a dead knockoff of the BFG's but the generals are about 25-50 bucks cheaper a tire. Only bad part is if you get the 10ply they are HEAVY...but only some of the generals are 10 ply depending on size. Road noise isn't noticeable, and traction is great in snow,rain,or pavement. :icon_hornsup:

jaxsage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have 10-ply BFG's right now and they are really heavy. I don't really think I need them for my driving. thats why I was looking at a different tire. But I just noticed I could get BFG's in 265 70/16 with load range D. So now my head is telling me one thing and my wallet is telling me the other.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Keep in mind where your wallet is concerned as far as I know BFG's also have the best mileage rating.

Everyone on this site that I have heard swears by BFG's in the snow. Just not the mud. So I guess it depends on what kinad snow you get and whats beneeath it.

jaxsage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I think I'm gonna stick with the BFG's. I got 70,000 out of mine now and thats with completely shot ball joints. So I think the extra money is worth it.

Can I put 15in. wheels on my 2001 ranger? I might go with the 31 x 10.5 x 15 because I can get those in a load range C.

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
yeah ive got an 01 too. t bar crank to level the truck other than that its stock. i swap between 34 10.50 16 tsls on the stock rims and my crager soft 8s that are 15x8 inch wheels running 33 12.50 15 mastercraft muds. it all depends on my mood and what day it is i switch alot lol. the 15s are fine and clear perfectly

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I've run the AT2s on Jeeps for a few years now. It's a great all around tire - does great in the MI snow, on wet roads, and for light off road duty - it's definitely not a mud tire, but then again what AT is? The tread pattern is very similar to the BFG ATs and for the price of the AT2s, you really cannot go wrong. They seem to get as good, if not better ratings on Tirerack than the BFGs as well.

azaizai

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
pretty sure the AT2's have a 60k mileage warranty too. I'm on the same fence :)

jaxsage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I was leaning towards the BFG's but I just read the ratings on tirerack.com and was suprised to see the BFG's ranked #10!!! I thought they would rate better than that from personal experience and just by how much people talk them up.

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I was leaning towards the BFG's but I just read the ratings on tirerack.com and was suprised to see the BFG's ranked #10!!! I thought they would rate better than that from personal experience and just by how much people talk them up.
People talk them up because of the name on the sidewall.

snavelyj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pro Comp makes some AT tires that look pretty deccent, i think they have a 50,000 mile treadwear warinty on them, and i am pretty sure they are snowflake aproved and decent priced

Mazda Matt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
I was going to get a set of BFG's until a neighbor recommended the General AT2s, long story short I'm now rolling on my second set of Generals. They've been an excellent all terrain on my daily driver B4000 and great bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone!

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ive been tire shopping a lot lately and almost every place ive looked the general grabber is rated better than the bfg. and for a lot cheaper too. they are going to be my next set of tires for sure

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals