• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Ford Ranger Splash 4x4 Trans Question

ddsmith1958

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
HELLO EVERYONE,
I have a 97 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 Splash with the 5 speed with OD.
The trans makes a noise in third gear but does not slip and goes into grear easy.
Is it ok to drive it and skip third gear and go to 4th for a while untill I get it fixed ?
Also is it very hard to rebuild the 5 speed myself ? I have built motors and was just thinking about rebuilding the trans.
Last thing- does anyone have a 5 speed for a 97 that they want to sell ?
Thanks for all your help and if anyone knows what the 3rd gear is doing please let me know, it makes a little rattle but nothing bad. the rest of the gears are great.
:icon_thumby:

Falkyn1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you might have something wrong with that particular gear teeth or maybe the synchronizer. The only way to fix that is to rebuild the tranny. As for how easy, that all depends on if you have the right tools or not. It can be a big PITA if you dont have the tools to do it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
drop in a junkyard trans. easy to find low mileage units and they are extremely common and cheap. these transmissions rarely fail, so even a high mileage unit would probably be alright.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals