• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ranger 2.3 FI

86RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wanted to ask a question. first off let me say that my truck seems to be running ok, but... i have noticed that at times I can hear clicking when i push the gas pedal( sounds seem to be coming from up around passenger side fender well or in that general area ) . sometimes its just alittle bit, other times its alot, when this happens, my truck seems to start missing alittle bit, but it will quit once i get to moving. I was thinking that it was due to to maybe a loose ground somewhere. I am all out of answers, and hope that maybe you all can give me some advise...
thanks alot for any help..... Ray

86 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
check your egr relay behind the air box. mine did this to. i replaced it and the egr started working and the clicking stop

dmassey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If the above doesn't work, I'm wondering if under acceleration the engine could be torquing over just enough to let a "leaky" plug wire get close enough to someting conductive and arcing and the sound is being conducted through the right side. It's a long shot I realize but electricity can do some crazy things.
Danny

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
maybe the cylanoid is clicking? id check the battery wires and ground wires that run off them also, i think theres one that gos to the battery and i know mine caused some problems by having a frayed wire and it kept grounding off the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals