• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

6 150 watt fog lights

rangerdanger9398

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have 6 8in fog lights 150 watt each waiting to be wired in will my truck have enough power to run all the lights and my head light all at the same time

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if you google watts law, or figure the resistance of the bulbs and use ohms law, you can figure about how much current the lights will draw.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not on a stock alternator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
are you going to wire them in series or parallel?

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Lets start with the basics.

6 lights x 150 watts each = 900 Watts

900 W / 12 volts = 75 amps

75 amps is more than a stock alternator puts out.

Options:

1) Put the lights on for looks only.

2) Hook them up and only run them one set at a time.

3) Hook up only one set.

4) Don't put them on (NOT AN OPTION)

Put them on, hook them up properly (1 relay per pair, Fused 10-ga power/ground wires, ground wires run back to the battery) and see how the existing electrical system takes it.
If the battery and/or the alternator gives you trouble replace them with larger units.
If it was me I would start off by replacing the alternator with a 120 amp unit and the battery with a Deep Cycle Optima Unit; increase the main wires from the alternator to the battery and redo all of the grounds more directly to the battery.

When putting this much wattage on the existing electrical system you will have a melt down, question is when and where and how many other components and wire will the melt-down take with it.
It is best to "Do It Right The First Time" and not worry about it.

Luck, great project...

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
6 will require 75 amps to run on a 12 volt system.

if you only figure on using batter voltage and not take the 2-3 volts for charging the battery back up it takes 12.5 amps to run just one light.

150watts/12v = amps

so if you plan on running those and any other electrical system you may want a 150-200 amp alternator.

you should also wire them on three switches so you don't pop fuses all the time.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
6 will require 75 amps to run on a 12 volt system.
if you only figure on using batter voltage and not take the 2-3 volts for charging the battery back up it takes 12.5 amps to run just one light.
150watts/12v = amps
so if you plan running on those and any other electrical system you may want a 150-200 amp alternator.
you should also wire them on three switches so you don't pop fuses all the time.
Averages, averages... the idea is to indicate the need for additional amperage in the system, a new alternator and battery.
12.5 Volts will results in a lower amperage draw, higher the voltage, lower the amperage draw per given wattage rating.
900 watts at 12.5 volts = 72 amps
The extra 3 amps will cover the battery re-charge, ha, ha.
Using 12 volts instead of the 12.5 or 13 volts will result in a heavy gauged circuit and in turn will handle the required load without worrying about over heating the wiring.
I use 12 on all of my circuits and have not had a problem.

later,

Last edited:

ranger4wd4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
not to spoil your fun but i believe in ny you are only can have up to 100watts lights for on road use

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
while driving... I think he's planning on only using them while off road.

@scrambler... that's just to run the lights... what about the ignition, the radio.... how about the amps needed to charge the batter? 3 is small to run all that.

besides, if he ended up putting the lights in series by mistake the lights won't be very bright.

he should just get the larger alternator and call it a day... I mean, who doesn't want an alternator that can have a welder hooked up to it and weld stuff while the truck is idling?!!!

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
There is an aftermarket company named Power Master. They offer a new 200 amp alternator in a cast finish for $380.99 no core required. Carries a 1yr warranty. Advance can get them in 1 day. The 200 amp should be plenty!

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
scrambler... that's just to run the lights... what about the ignition, the radio.... how about the amps needed to charge the batter? 3 is small to run all that.
Your right but we were just talking lights.
As IRK said you will need more than the 75 amps to make sure the vehicle can even run while the lights are on.
Yes a 160 or bigger Alternator will cover you but the cost... Ka ching...

besides, if he ended up putting the lights in series by mistake the lights won't be very bright.
Hopefully the lights will be setup in sets of two lights per relay and power feed. So series connections will not come in to the picture; I hope, I hope.

he should just get the larger alternator and call it a day... I mean, who doesn't want an alternator that can have a welder hooked up to it and weld stuff while the truck is idling?!!!
Ya but what price glory... I agree BUT can he afford the new alternator and if the draw is that much can he afford a new battery too.

What is being said here rangerdanger9398 is, "Do you really need all of the lights or do you just want them" ?
If you just want them, you will need to decide how much you are willing to pay for the setup. Lights-8, relays-4/wiring-enough heavy gauge 12 or heavier/fuses and holders-4/switches-4, new alternator-1 and new battery-high amp hour-1. ka-ching, ka-ching $$$$$

later,

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Go to Summitracing.com, same 200 amp Powermaster alternator for around 315. If you print it off you can take it to Advance Auto and they will match the price (this way you don't pay shipping).

-plumcrazy

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why don't you try white HID's i beleive they draw less than a filament lamp and as we all know by those import f*ckers they are bright as all hell.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
i have 6 8in fog lights 150 watt each waiting to be wired in will my truck have enough power to run all the lights and my head light all at the same time
Hey rangerdanger9398,

What are your thoughts on the subject ?

What are you going to be doing with all of the light from eight 150 watt Long Ranger lights ?:headbang:

Have you thought about a couple of lower wattage flood lights for filling effect in place of two of the higher wattage lights ?:beer: :icon_confused:

Have you tried mounting two or four lights and see how they work out first ?:icon_welder:

Always use RELAY(S) and grounding back to the battery for higher amperage draw components ! This reduces resistance in the circuit and almost eliminates grounding problems.:icon_bounceblue:

later,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals