• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steel Bumpers?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
We all know that for the Ranger to come to the U.S., it had to have some changes. One being the steel bumpers. Why is that? It seems that Toyota has eliminated the steel bumper on the Tacoma, looks like '15 was the last year with an actual bunper. How do they get away with that?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Steel Bumbers?

There is still a steel bumper underneath the fiberglass or plastic cover. It just doesn’t have to be as substantial since there is a pretty cover over it in order to meet safety standards.

EDIT: Or should I say, it doesn’t have to be as substantial since all it has to do is meet safety standards. Exposed steel bumpers also have to meet styling cues that a covered one wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Near as I can tell Toyota owners must not drive thru cornfields.

I would rather scratch painted steel than gouge painted plastic. Chrome would be better than either.

They do make aftermarket bumpers for Toyotas though.

I would prefer the chrome bumper but Ford has it tied in with the chrome package so you have to get the chrome grille and crappy chrome clad wheels...

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't think Ford had to put a steel bumper on the Ranger. They chose to because, well, it's a truck damnit!

They emphasized that real trucks have steel bumpers.

Of course they're also hung up on payload and towing capacity. At some point they'll learn that people who want to haul a lot of stuff, or pull big trailers, are going to buy a fullsize truck for that.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If ford rates the ranger so high, won’t that kill f150 sales? The f series is kind of their crown jewel, kinda seems like they’re shooting themselves in the foot

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
If ford rates the ranger so high, won’t that kill f150 sales? The f series is kind of their crown jewel, kinda seems like they’re shooting themselves in the foot
:icon_thumby:
It's the reason they quit making the Sport Trac. Not because of poor sales, but they didn't want to eat away at the F150 sales. The Sport Trac was the midsized offering until '13. It was the only offering after '11. After that if you wanted a new Ford, you had to buy a 150 or bigger. Now the ST is no more, and the Ranger is now a midsized truck to do what the ST did. Personally I think the 2nd gen Sport Trac looks better than the new Rangers. I did own an 08 ST, and if I get the chance, I will get me another one.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's the reason they quit making the Sport Trac...
They quit making the ST in '10 because the Explorer changed from body on frame to unibody. And Ford didn't see market for a Ridgeline clone/couldn't keep the old Explorer line open for just the ST.

Ranger's 7,500lb towing/ 1,860lb payload are ~1/2 of 13,200lb/3,240lb respective limits for F-150s. SD limits get crazy.

And remember those limits get reduced by options on truck, accessories, passengers, stuff in truck. My F-150 has "lost" 1k lbs off maximum for both numbers as a result of these "additions".

I want to be able to load camper, tow jet ski* and park in garage. Existing Ranger can do any 1 at a time, F-150 can do 2 of 3 (garage door is too narrow) but new Ranger should do all.

A "Courier" works too, but then we're back to taking 2nd vehicle to lake...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's the reason they quit making the Sport Trac. Not because of poor sales, but they didn't want to eat away at the F150 sales. The Sport Trac was the midsized offering until '13. It was the only offering after '11. After that if you wanted a new Ford, you had to buy a 150 or bigger. Now the ST is no more, and the Ranger is now a midsized truck to do what the ST did. Personally I think the 2nd gen Sport Trac looks better than the new Rangers. I did own an 08 ST, and if I get the chance, I will get me another one.
ST was never a great seller. Not hacking down the bed so much might have help, same with not going IRS. The second gens were pricey too.

Ranger is not close to doing what a modern F150 can do, isn’t even that far ahead of the completion for towing. Gladiator is supposed to bump it from #1 next year.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ST wasn't a great seller? It is basically what the new ranger is, but with engine options even a V8 option. They quit selling a midsize truck in "10, ( my mistake about '13 being the last year) just to replace it 9 years later with the same truck, but now it is called "Ranger" and that's cool, but it is still practically the same vehicle with a EB4banger.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/compare/Ford-Explorer-Sport-Trac-vs-Ford-Ranger_d336_d354#section-specs
Similar in dimensions but not really in specs.

I say not a great seller because they were always rather scarce. The styling turned a lot away, the deep bed turned a lot away... and going to IRS didn't make many friends either. IIRC they were pretty pricey too.

If they would have left the Ranger looking front sheetmetal on it with a longer bed and called it a Ranger Supercrew (leaving the frame Explorer based for better stability) and not been so greedy on the price I think it would have sold better.

But as they said in Detroit a year ago the market has changed, people want 4 door midsize trucks now (I almost lol'ed, people have been crying for a 4dr Ranger for a long time)

I would take a first gen ST, would rather pass on a 2nd gen. IMO the 8.8 is a far superior truck axle when solid than it is independent.

If you watch Mr Truck's Ranger review on youtube the Ranger engineer he drove with out in California mentions he drives a first gen Sport Trac. :icon_thumby: Neat review, I think he was kind of rude to the engineer a couple times though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oG33bQzOc0

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Did you not look at the link. similar in all ways. Specs and Dimensions, The Ranger may have more technology but that is expected after a 9 year hiatus. I think you have Ranger Blinders on. The ST is better in some areas and the Ranger is better in others but they are essentially the same truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you not look at the link. similar in all ways. Specs and Dimensions, The Ranger may have more technology but that is expected after a 9 year hiatus. I think you have Ranger Blinders on. The ST is better in some areas and the Ranger is better in others but they are essentially the same truck.
No, I just really do not care for the SOHC 4.0 in the early Sport Tracs or the IRS in the later ones. :dntknw:

The sizes are similar, I think that was hashed out about a year ago. Target audience is probably similar too. Actual construction is not that similar though, more similar to a first gen ST than a second gen ST.

Ranger blinders... I have more Explorer drivetrain components in my truck than Ranger lol.

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Agree to disagree a suppose. IMO ford pulled a switch-A-roo. Lol. I know that 10 yrs ago the suv/truck market was different and there wasn't enough room for a compact Ranger, midsized Sport Trac, and full size F150, but now there is. Ranger is now midsized and people are already asking/wanting a Smaller/cheaper pick-up.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe they’ll bump the ranger to midsize to take the place of the ST (already done) and will bring back the courier name since everyone is bringing back names these days.

Courier be the mini, then ranger, then 150, then super duty

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe they’ll bump the ranger to midsize to take the place of the ST (already done) and will bring back the courier name since everyone is bringing back names these days.

Courier be the mini, then ranger, then 150, then super duty
You don't really have to go back too far for the Ranger to be comparable to an older F-150.

That is kind of how I am looking at it. I do not care for the style or size of a newer F-150.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals