• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2WD offroading

ThatCatPuma

Reaction score
I realize that this is ill advised and that if one wants to go offroad they should get a proper 4WD truck, but does anyone have any experience or tips with going offroad in a 2WD ranger? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What kind of offroading?

I would make sure to have a way to unstick it, either don't travel alone (which is a good idea anyway) or have something along the lines of a winch.

If something goes sideways on a trail a buddy with a truck is a good thing to have no matter how many drive tires you have. :icon_thumby:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD vehicles are usually 1 wheel drive, they often have an OPEN differential this means the EASIEST wheel to turn gets ALL the power from the engine.

This is why if 1 wheel starts to spin on ice or mud you get stuck, because that wheel is now getting ALL the power, other wheel gets 0 power.

There are Limited Slip differentials, Ford calls theirs Trac Lok, Chevy calls it Positraction

Limited slip means if one wheel starts to slip(spin faster than the other wheel) then more power is transferred to the OTHER wheel, the one that has traction.

Most 4x4 Rangers came with Limited Slip, not all, and some 2WD did as well as a pay extra Option.

Look here to see what you have now: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

2WD pickup trucks have no weight on the Drive wheels, so lose traction easily
This is why Front wheel drive cars do well in snow or slippery conditions because weight of the engine is over the drive wheels, its also easier to PULL a weight than to PUSH a weight, so another advantage and a main benefit of 4WD because you now have drive wheels PULLING you

Off-roading is not always about 4WD, most of it is ground clearance, so you do need as much as practical.
Good tires with wider gaps in treads for better grip of loose material
Put all your gear as far back in the bed as possible, so most of that weight is on the rear axle
Tire chains are easy to carry
A portable winch is practical to have with 2WD or 4WD, or a good come-along, with extra straps/cables
Sand ladders don't take up much room, if you think you will need them
A jack you can use to lift a wheel to put something under it for better traction when stuck

Portable air compressor is good to have, you get better traction with lower tire pressure, any tire has a larger footprint with lower air pressure so more friction which is traction
Not a good idea on the highway but if off-road then lower pressure down to 15-20psi, if on the sand down to 10psi, then pump them back up when you are going on-road
Watch sharp turns with lower tire pressure, because you can break the bead seal on the rim so end up with a flat tire

Last edited:

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
as stated above it really depends on what type of offroading youre looking at doing. the best money spent will be on a good locker for the rear diff, after that good suspension so you can carry more momentum over things. if youre looking at crazy rock trails and mud, 2wd just wont cut it most of the time

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Locker, suspension, winch, buddy.

Most of the 4x4 off-road guys I know wont' go anywhere without a winch and a friend.

ThatCatPuma

Reaction score
Thanks for the input y'all. Mainly just looking into driving on non-gravel roads and back roads in national forests around where I'm at, sometime they get pretty slick and/or just have terrible road conditions. Not true offroading I guess. Got it: a locking differential, agood winch, a buddy, and weight in the rear.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input y'all. Mainly just looking into driving on non-gravel roads and back roads in national forests around where I'm at, sometime they get pretty slick and/or just have terrible road conditions. Not true offroading I guess. Got it: a locking differential, agood winch, a buddy with a truck, and weight in the rear.

Fixed it for you.

A second person probably wouldn't hurt anything but if you get your truck stuck you just have someone to talk to as you walk back to civilization/cell signal if they don't have a truck too.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I might have missed it but good tires will make a big difference. If the roads/trails you expect to go on have a lot of mud, mud tires are a must. Otherwise, I wouldn't go with anything less than a highly customer rated all terrain tire. All terrains can essentially become racing slicks if there is too much mud, so something to keep in mind.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you do have a buddy with you, a passenger, make sure he sits in the back of the bed over the real slippery parts :)

ThatCatPuma

Reaction score
I might have missed it but good tires will make a big difference. If the roads/trails you expect to go on have a lot of mud, mud tires are a must. Otherwise, I wouldn't go with anything less than a highly customer rated all terrain tire. All terrains can essentially become racing slicks if there is too much mud, so something to keep in mind.
Good to know. I have Toyo A/T tires on it right now. Don't know much about them because the truck was my dad's... and a buddy with a truck is a necessity lol. I think a SPOT would also be a good add on, now that I think about it...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've drove hundreds of miles on forest trails and logging roads all over Michigan in 2WD and a limited slip. It's all about knowing limits and when to keep you momentum up. I certainly wouldn't let a 2WD prevent me from exploring a bit and enjoying a good trail ride.

ThatCatPuma

Reaction score
I've drove hundreds of miles on forest trails and logging roads all over Michigan in 2WD and a limited slip. It's all about knowing limits and when to keep you momentum up. I certainly wouldn't let a 2WD prevent me from exploring a bit and enjoying a good trail ride.
God to know. I'm over in eastern Washington. Probably will drive into North Idaho lots, as well. Sounds like alot of just being careful, knowing the limits of my vehicle, and being prepared. Weird, right? Thanks y'all.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I use to take my 2wd s-10 offroading on sand trails all the time. I never took it "mudding" but it was an amazing trail truck. Really the only modifications it had was a locker, 3" lift, good trail tires (cant remeber what I used) and the spare tire mounted on the tailgate for better weight distribution. It held its own against 4x4's especially the big ridiculous f-350's on 38's (were talking trail riding so small, light, and agile beats big lumbering dinosaur). I've always wanted to build my current ranger like my old s-10 but its my daily driver so it gets left alone for now.

Now if your talking about rock crawler or mudding... you're nuts.

mudfisher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't forget you can somewhat cheat-lock your open diff if you get stuck but I wouldn't recommend doing it too hard or too much. Apply brake softly to lightly-moderate and then press the gas to possibly get power to the grounded tire.

Also, use your 2 and 1 gears to save your brakes when going down steep hills or when you are going over stuff to keep your wheels from spinning wildly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals