• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ford Ranger Catalytic converter "Smog Check issue" on how many

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Need help

I had my 1988 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 2.9L V6 Auto smog checked today. I seen the guy under the truck it passed but he told me that the Vin and year is telling him it has one only Catalytic converter but he seen a decrepancy on it and passed it. Mine has two than the muffler its been that way all the time I owned it some 20 years even Napa replacement has two together for my year truck. He told me DMV is cracking down on people adding cats to pass smog. My question is mine a two cat from the factory? He said he is getting a book to better tell him next time :-( I am in California its getting to be a pain this smog check ordeal

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry, I have no knowledge of how many cats but who is the MORON in the dmv that cares more about how many cats rather than how little emissions. Please tell me that you have written a letter to your congressman.
Good luck,

Richard

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I have no knowledge of how many cats but who is the MORON in the dmv that cares more about how many cats rather than how little emissions. Please tell me that you have written a letter to your congressman.
Good luck,

Richard

I am with you on that the strange deal is its the same guy that passed it a year and a half ago and he remembers the truck. He just told me that DMV is cracking down on the smog stations on how many factory cats came on the truck or car. If you have more than by the book your toast here in California. I hate this state with a passion on what there doing to us

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You could have saved us some time and just said:

I am in California
We knew the rest of the story.

Seriously though, it is a crock. And if you write your congressman, it will be file thirteen'd and they'll ignore it later. They could care less if you are seeking to interfere with their precious revenue.

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
You could have saved us some time and just said:

We knew the rest of the story.

Seriously though, it is a crock. And if you write your congressman, it will be file thirteen'd and they'll ignore it later. They could care less if you are seeking to interfere with their precious revenue.

California the Golden state for who? DMV

I see why all our friends moved out of this state its a sad deal I wish I had the money and future job to get out of here as well. The truck I like so much and its kept like brand new its getting hard to keep on the road

rsparhawk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (Soon 2.3T hopefully)
Transmission
Manual
My 88 2.9 had 2 cats. It's actually a single cat split in half. I tore tham apart since I had to put a new one on for my engine swap anyways. Thankfully I dont live in california and after 25 years it's only the typical visual and safety check.

My uncle lives out in Fresno, and he has a 82 VW rabbit he drives everywhere, it passed emissions without a cat, lol.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It seems very odd that they would give a shit whether you had one or two cats under there... As said, emissions should be the big thing.

The whole reason two cats were used is because they do different things, and it was cheaper to manufacture that way. Now adays, its cheap enough to manufacture one cat that does everything, rather than two.

edit - my 88 had two cats, and I they do emissions testing here. My 89 has two cats as well.

Oh! Was the vehicle manufactured for sale in California? I know some cars are made special for Cali due to emissions requirements, could your vin indicating you had a single cat have something to do with that?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 1988 Ford Ranger came factory equipped with a single TWO BED three-way catalytic converter.

Stupid people often mistake the two-bed single unit for having two cats.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals