• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 4x4 not staying engaged

kirakitty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
1996 b4000 Ext cab 4x4 4.0L Auto

We got our first snow here in NY, I through the truck into 4HI and the light didn't come on, I Stepped on the gas to engage the hubs and fishtailed down my street. I got to the end of my street and when I turned the wheel to hang the corner, The light came on and it engaged. While driving the agonizing 4 miles to work, I came to a stop at a traffic light. When I took off the 4x4 light was off and no 4x4. I pulled over and put it into park, turned the switch through the 2HI, 4HI, 4LO with no luck. I have used the 4x4 previously with no issues. Can this be the shift motor, Or a maintanance item like cleaning contacts, maybe I am low on blinker fluid? It is not a major thing for me right now, but it tweeks my melons that these thinks happen when you need them to work.

PS. I put in the one piece aluminum drive shaft in recently, Very easy and a vast improvement

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
It's definately your blinker fluid.

Also it might be because the shift module likes it when you have your foot on the brake to shift. On my truck, it likes to shift when the clutch and brake are in. I mention this because you were probably on the brakes to go around the corner.

kirakitty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, but its a little different senerio:

It engaged when I accelerated around the corner from a stop. Never touched the brakes, which often happens if you know what I mean. and when it disengaged, I was accelerating from a stop, but going straight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals