• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV lower intake manifold gaskets

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Do 1990-1996 4.0's have a different lower intake than 97-01? Or are they the same? This is concerning OHV engines only.

The reason I am asking is because I have been using Felpro MS94682 for lower intake jobs. They work fine. But RockAuto had Felpro MS90728 on clearance and listed as an "improved design" and allegedly compatible with 1990-2000 Explorers with OHV 4.0s.

However once I got the part, it says right on the box that it only fits 1997-2001 OHV 4.0s. I got ahold of them and they sent out another MS90728 that also only fits 97-01.

Is this a misprint on the box? Do they really fit? Or not? They look similar but I don't want to waste my time - AutoZone and others selling that part seem to say that they indeed only fit 97-01.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
rock auto says they fit 90 to 01, I have used them interchangeably throughout the years with no issue. Stay away from the fiber tray gasket from the early trucks at all costs, they are garbage.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
AFAIK the lower never changed, only the upper.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
rock auto says they fit 90 to 01, I have used them interchangeably throughout the years with no issue. Stay away from the fiber tray gasket from the early trucks at all costs, they are garbage.
Yeah, RockAuto does say they fit those years. But the box I got says that it fits 97-01... and literally everywhere else that sells that particular part - AutoZone, Napa, etc all agree with the box. RockAuto has fukked me on stuff like this before so that's why I'm asking. I just find it odd that if it does in fact fit, why wouldn't it say so on the box?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals