• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 dome light upgrade questions

mister moose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
OEM
My credo
Never work on a powder day.
I just upgraded from a 2002 to a low miles 2011. The 02 at 155,000 miles was still running great, but rust was taking over in a big way from driving in New England road salt.

So nice to roll the clock back to 52,000 miles with zero rust on a truck that lived in VA and almost never saw snow. HOWEVER...

At some point in later years rather than improve things, they went completely low rent and downgraded the 3 light map/dome combo which was in my 02, and replaced it with a dome only cheesy thing. No map lights. The copilot uses them a lot, and the right map light interferes less with night vision than the whole cabin dome light.

1) Does anyone know if the recommended fixtures from older Rangers, Mustangs, Explorers and F150s will fit? (ie does this Ranger still have the same 3 screw mount?)

2) Since this Ranger won't have the 2nd hot wire for the map lights, what's the work around given the fixture gets power from the mounting screw pad with a special terminal on the roof that my truck doesn't have?

3) I haven't seen instructions on removing the pillar cover to run the extra wire to the new fixture, what's the method on that?

Thanks!

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the same boat. Looking for a better option too.

tbovee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
U can still do this same mod in the newer Rangers.....I have a 2010 and did this sometime ago, I bought a new old stock mustang dome light and mounted it no problem, u will however have to run a power wire for the map lights....If memory serves me correctly, I tapped into the power wire leading to the headlight switch? I am not positive as it was literally a couple yrs ago, and apparently wasn’t a big deal (because I don’t remember) lol As far as the pillar cover it’s mounted just like every other one out there........

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The A-pillar trim just pulls off... after the grab handle(if equipped) is removed.

It will sound like you're breaking it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals