• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1/4 to 1/2 ton axles an Independent Suspension project

midgetcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm working on switching my axles off of my 87 ranger and putting axles (and front coils springs and shocks) off of a 76 f150 short box. Also am pulling out the leaf springs and installing the independent rear end (coil springs, etc) off a 99 expedition onto said 87 ranger. Kinda just need an idea of what all I need off of each truck and how much of a b***h this is gonna be......

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I have never heard of that rear swap before. I would try and get as much of the Expedition rear as possible, maybe even the rear frame section to graft onto the Ranger frame for durability.

For front suspension you should go to the tech section and read about the Dana 35/44 TTB hybrid, it would be easier and is damned strong. That is, if you are going for a 4wd.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On a scale of 1-10, I would estimate that rear swap to be about a 12... not for the faint of heart.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
It would probably be easier to swap in a TTB into the rear than trying to get all the trailing arms and what not lined up properly.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm working on switching my axles off of my 87 ranger and putting axles (and front coils springs and shocks) off of a 76 f150 short box.
Are you doing this for 4wd or 2wd. 4wd would be a SAS. 2wd would be full width, but why?:icon_confused:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I got to thinking about this whole IRS thing. The only truck I would do that swap to would be a newer IFS 2wd shortbox regular cab. You could make a hellacious street truck out of that, it would corner pretty dang well. I also would be looking for an Explorer rear suspension, too, not an Expedition.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals