• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ring end gap?

jonx4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My 4.0L didnt quite run right when I got it about a year ago. Figured it needed a tune-up. Well, it kept using oil, and one day I found that my heater wasnt was blowing cold air even 10mi down the road. So I checked the antifreeze, and it was dangerously low. I put nearly a gallon in it. Next time I checked it, it looked NASTY! Kept on using oil...

Well, I bought a can of restore for it the other day, took the oil cap off, and saw little beads of antifreeze. So thats where the oil and antifreeze was going, and why it was running rough.

The odometer reads 10,xxx. Now, whether that is 110,xxx 210,xxx or 310xxx is beyond me. I know it will need head gaskets, and it couldnt hurt to replace all those other gaskets as well, but I want to know how much life the engine still has in it. It sounds like the top-end might be ticking a little bit, but that could be the hacked up y-pipe that is leaking like a seive. Seems to me it still has some life left in the bearings considering I still get 30+psi according to the stock gauge.

Anyway, to the point, can somebody give me the proper ring end gap specs?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Ring gap for the compression rings is 0.015-0.023, the gap for the oil ring is 0.015-0.055.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals