• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help diagnosing a problem

wa2be

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda Ridgeline
Transmission
Automatic
I have a '99 4x4 with the aftermarket manual locking hubs. A problem has developed recently that I can't figure out. When the truck is in 2wd (hubs unlocked) and I turn at slow speeds, I hear what can best be described as a loud grinding noise (not high-pitched), and it feels like the front wheels are skipping, or binding up. The feeling is very similiar to what you would experience when turning sharply while the 4wd is engaged. Also, it seems to get a lot worse once the truck is warmed up.

I inspected all of the components last weekend and everything looked ok. I pulled off the manual hubs to verify that they weren't binding up and leaving one side locked in. I rotated the front tires to the back in case it was a tire problem. I checked the front wheels for any play or looseness that might indicate bad wheel bearings (both front hubs/bearings were replaced about 2 years ago, so in theory there shouldn't be a problem here).

Could this be a CV joint problem? I'm thinking it's not because the CV joints don't turn when the 4wd is not engaged, but am I wrong about that?

Any ideas on what might be going on here? I'm at a loss.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did ya spin the tires with both front tires off the ground??

could be that one of the hubs is "sticking in" and not fully disengageing...

check for that and see what happens....and if ya hear "grinding" then more than likely you should see evidence of the abnormal wear on something...

l8r, John

wa2be

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda Ridgeline
Transmission
Automatic
did ya spin the tires with both front tires off the ground??

could be that one of the hubs is "sticking in" and not fully disengageing...

check for that and see what happens....and if ya hear "grinding" then more than likely you should see evidence of the abnormal wear on something...

l8r, John
I've tried spinning the tires and have confirmed that both hubs are disengaged (the CV half shafts are not turning). I also went out and did some test driving this morning and found that it does the same thing regardless of being engaged in 4wd or not engaged.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals