• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L Engine Swap - Engine removal Question

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This may seem like a stupid question for all you experts. Where do I attach the engine hoist chain to the 4.0L engine that I am removing from my 93 explorer doner vehicle? I do not want to break anything by using something to weak. Where is the correct spot? Do I need to buy a special bracket or plate? Thanks Update: I just noticed on the 2.9L engine some heavy wire loops that are bolted on each side of the engine. I suspect these were used for installing the engine. Can I use the same loops for the 4.0L engine?
After looking at each engine I think I can use the same loops. I need to verify after I remove the loops. The only issue is the center of gravity. I am guessing the loops are set with the trans attached to the engine. I am removing the engine without the trans.

Last edited:

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pull engine

I just used accessory air cond bolts I think and put A bolt in the intake on the back but I had one of those screw adjusters to tip the motor how I wanted.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
in between a few runners on the exhaust maifolds, are dedicated empty bolt holes for your lifting chains. Use a spreader bar. I just swapped engines in my '01 4.0. Your holes may be different on the OHV though.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
There should be empty bolt holes on the side of each head. I usually hook one end on the back and one on the front - opposite sides. Lifts out more evenly that way. :icon_thumby:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i put the lift tabs from a 2.9 on the exhaust bolt holes mentioned

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals