• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flowmaster 40?

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have me a 2002 ford ranger edge 4.0 completly stock i have been told that flowmaster 40 series would give me the closest sound to what i want so was i told right? :icon_confused: i also plan on getting a air intake either before or after i get the exhaust

paxlineman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not sure what sound your going for but i put them on my 01 with the 4.0 and it sounds great

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im trying to go for a v8 sound as much as possible, i know i will still have the car sound

simonsays

October 2010 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its a v6.. it will never sound like a v8..:thefinger:

who cares what it sounds like. .its what it performs like that matters. :icon_thumby:

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have me a auto trans, havent learned to to drive a manual but im gona need to learn soon

link040188

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 40 gives you a great sound i love mine as far as the pipes either run the 2.5 or custom one up single and dual will sound the same so its all about if you want the look of one or two pipes

Jake318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have the 40 series on my 3.0 and in my opinion its one of the better sounding mufflers for v6's. it's a single inlet to dual turndowns. it resonates inside alot when cruising at higher speeds but its really not that loud from the outside. its a really low frequency tone with low decibles. go for it!

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
As for my 3.0 L, Ive got a 2 1/2 inch pipe runnin from the catalytic converter, it runs into a (single 2 1/2 inch inlet / dual 2 1/4 inch outlets) Flowmaster Super 44 series muffler, with 2 1/4 inch pipes comin straight out the back of the muffler, all of which runs into 3 inch chrome tips. As for the sound, in my opinion, it sounds pretty good, It resonates a deep growl at idle, and when drivin around the hood, and offroad, it sounds pretty good for a little V6 engine. The only problem i have is when I get on the highway, the loudness becomes a drone and it can be a bit annoying, but ive gotten used to it, besides, thats what u use ur radio for, the drown out the drone of your vehicle.

foxbodyjr.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mercury
Transmission
Automatic
hey im doing the same with my 4.0 ranger with an auto and several ppl are telling me to cut of the cat to make it sound better??? should i? will it sound better?

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey im doing the same with my 4.0 ranger with an auto and several ppl are telling me to cut of the cat to make it sound better??? should i? will it sound better?
NO, and NO unless your cats are plugged up pulling them wont make much of a difference on power, and when you pull a cat it makes it sound worse. IMO

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yea, If I was you, I wuldn't mess with the cats. Its against the law, and it really doesnt add much to performance. Its basically pointless.

paxlineman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i left my cats in and exited before the rear tires and it has a nice throaty sound to it. it does not sound like a v8 but its not a v8 so i did not expect it to.

tarantumtwister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok so today i went to the local muffler shop and got 2.5 inch pipe coming from behind the cats into the flowmaster 40 series and 2.5 out to single. honestly its not much differnt than stock theres a light nice rumble but its not loud at all, i think the 2.5 inch pipe is to big it just soaks up all the sound,

my buddie also has a 4.0 ranger and he has the same muffler the 40 series and all he got was the muffler put in place of the old one and left all the pipes, and his is much louder.

im a bit dissapoionted that its not louder but i guess i cant do much now after its all in.

tarantumtwister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
therse like no sound in the cab whatsoever.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals