• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How do YOU guys accurately check your transmission fluid level?

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
This is my third time now dropping the pan and changing the fluid. The last time I dropped the pan I made a mess and couldn't accurately check how much fluid I had drained.

I have gone by the book and it gives me two different results.

I start the truck, go through all the gears and wait til it's a normal operating temperature, then check the dip stick and it marks just under the cross hatch. I'll let it sit and idle for another 10 minutes, go through all gears and then it marks just barely on the cross hatch. This is without moving the truck at all

I have also driven it for 10 miles (the owners manual says about 20 miles or til operating temp) park, go through all the gears, leave it idling in park, and the dip stick reads about half an inch over the full mark

I'm confused whether I'm doing it wrong. I've put about 4.5 quarts this time around.

Sorry if I been spamming the forums, I'm just trying to get this thing to run 100%

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It can a be a pain. Here's what I do, after warming up the trans leave it in park with the engine running and remove and clean the dipstick but don't put it back. Let the truck idle another five or so minutes then re-insert the dipstick and immediately pull it back out.

What happens is the dipstick tube is at a crazy angle, everytime you pull out or re-insert the dipstick you bring fluid up into the tube that doesn't drain back immediately so it builds up on the dipstick the next time you try to take a reading.

Usually a pan drop does 3.5 - 4 quarts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It can a be a pain. Here's what I do, after warming up the trans leave it in park with the engine running and remove and clean the dipstick but don't put it back. Let the truck idle another five or so minutes then re-insert the dipstick and immediately pull it back out.

What happens is the dipstick tube is at a crazy angle, everytime you pull out or re-insert the dipstick you bring fluid up into the tube that doesn't drain back immediately so it builds up on the dipstick the next time you try to take a reading.

Usually a pan drop does 3.5 - 4 quarts.
Small engines do that too. I have to let the briggs in my mower sit a bit before I can get any kind of a reading on the dipstick.

Little low, add a little... now it is 3" over on the stick. Wait a few minutes and we are back in the crosshatch.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I just wait till it starts making noise and engageing slowly.

But with a C6 you can do that kinda shit :)

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Lol thanks for the suggestions guys. I just picked up a deep transmission pan with a drain plug I plan on swapping this weekend, how many quarts will that take?

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure if it's the same with a Ranger transmission, but my '90 Dodge (A518 auto) had to be checked in Neutral, it didn't pump oil thru the cooler in park, and would read higher (more or less) on the stick.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm not sure if it's the same with a Ranger transmission, but my '90 Dodge (A518 auto) had to be checked in Neutral, it didn't pump oil thru the cooler in park, and would read higher (more or less) on the stick.
Ford wants them checked in P.

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Lol I feel like a rookie because I'm still having trouble with this :cry:

Should I be driving the truck first until warm, park, go through all the gears and then check the dip stick?

Or turn it on when cold, go through the gears and let it sit til warm. Then check the dip stick?

Because both methods have given me different results.

First method puts it over the cross hatch. Second method puts it under the cross hatch.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How you do it is less important than actually getting to the proper operating temp of the trans. I've always driven them because that will get you to temp much faster. If you are just idling you can get the engine fully up to temp before the transmission temp moves 10 degree. If you are trying to get the trans up to temp just by running the engine in P you can literally be there all day waiting.

I'd say you are probably a little over filled, since idling probably isn't getting the fluid as hot as it should be, and with ATF being so thin it expands and contracts quite a bit with temp changes. That's one of the reasons to check it at operating temp, that is a constant and not changing with the weather.

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How you do it is less important than actually getting to the proper operating temp of the trans. I've always driven them because that will get you to temp much faster. If you are just idling you can get the engine fully up to temp before the transmission temp moves 10 degree. If you are trying to get the trans up to temp just by running the engine in P you can literally be there all day waiting.

I'd say you are probably a little over filled, since idling probably isn't getting the fluid as hot as it should be, and with ATF being so thin it expands and contracts quite a bit with temp changes. That's one of the reasons to check it at operating temp, that is a constant and not changing with the weather.
Thank you. I probably made it more complicated than it should be. I just installed a drain plug last fluid change so that should come in handy :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals