• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing 2.3 engine advice

toms.abpg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I’m ready to drop in my salvage engine on my 96 ranger, for you have have done this, how much of the motor can actually drop in all put together? The wiring harness has me a little concerned, do you plug in everything on the motor before dropping in? I have most of the motor together minus the throttle body and upper intake

JohnnyRed99Sport

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure every connector is different for wiring harness. I swapped my 2.5l 4 years ago. Take your time and label everything with tape also take lots of pictures. A cherry picker and engine stand are necessary too. Take out trans and hood, So you can pull out motor. Use a torque wrench and new gaskets on everything. You only want to do this once, take your time and be very thorough. I put all new sensors and fuel injectors in as well.

Johnny 99 2.5L Ranger sport 5spd

JohnnyRed99Sport

Reaction score
If you have a stickshift. You might as well put in a new clutch and hydraulics for clutch. Many repairs are easy while motor is out. Be careful with exhaust manifold the bolts will be rusty and break easy. I had to have the bottom bolts drilled out on exhaust manifold. I used a remanufactured motor from Oreilly. I used lucas breakin oil additive for first 1500 miles. Than regular oil next 1500. Then regular oil changes after that.

JohnnyRed99Sport

Reaction score
The motor mounts can be a pain too. I left them attached to frame and pulled motor. Exhaust manifold can be attached to motor while you lower it in. It took 2 weeks with a friend helping. I was in no hurry at all. Be thorough and cautious. I had to buy bolts from menards too. Some will break others might get lost. Just make sure to use good high strength bolts etc.

JohnnyRed99Sport

Reaction score
My motor is the same as yours it just has a crankshaft with a bigger stroke.

JohnnyRed99Sport

Reaction score
Bleeding the clutch hydraulics can be very difficult because the bubbles stay in the plastic line. Oreilly sells a prefilled unit for around 150 to 200. Makes it a piece of cake. Top half installs and bottom half installs separately but prefilled then you connect them with the quick connect. Bleed it according to manual basically gravity bleed. Then your clutch will work perfect. Putting trans back to motor takes a little effort. Once you get it lined up right use the long bolts for trans to motor to draw it tight.

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dropped the whole motor and trans in with wiring harness, manifolds, throttle, all of it. Only things I left off were the ps pump, alternator, and the fan.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals