• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 Ranger 2.3 cooling issue

Stoker_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
So started my truck to let it warm up before going to the store,came back out to my truck to go,noticed my temp gauge was alil higher than normal,didn't think too much on it & started driving. By the time I got to the store the gauge was about 3/4 of the way up(usually sits at 1/4) heat blowing hot,heater lines hot, & top hose hot. The bottom house is cold & the side of the radiator its leading to is cold. Replaced the water pump & thermostat about 8k miles so I'm wondering if the radiator itself is clogged or something else? Any info helps,thanks for looking!

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Unless you have a infrared temperature detector or camera, you will have to use the manual method to determine if the radiator has 'cold' spots, where the coolant is not dumping any heat. More or less, run it until it is as hot as you want, then probe the fins in a pattern more or less from side to side(if your tubes are vertical, which I thought all Rangers were, but I don't have access to them all) If a tube is plugged, it will not allow coolant passage, and should be cool to the touch. Work your way across and see if some are cool. If so, and it is significant(more than ~10% say), you may want to try to back-flush the system. If not, don't worry about it.
tom

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lower rad hose should be 15-20deg Cooler than upper hose

After engine is warmed up again and idling squeeze upper rad hose, then squeeze lower rad hose
If lower is much easier to squeeze and much cooler, then rad is clogged up
REV engine and see if lower hose gets even softer

Soft lower hose is because water pump is trying to pull coolant in from the radiator faster than it can flow thru
Pressure in both hoses should be the same

28 year old vehicle will only have new automatic trans radiators available, that is normal, so don't spend time looking for a manual trans radiator, if you have a manual trans.

Also you can get a slightly bigger rad if you get one for vehicle with AC, even if you don't have AC, these are usually Dual Core instead of Single core

Stoker_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I'll check all that out in the morning,thanks for the tips!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals