• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OBS 7.3 powerstroke glow plug relay on with engine running?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My '97 F350 is somewhat neglected, there's an idler pulley or two that are toast and I opened the hood on a cold start on Tuesday to investigate a new growling noise (as opposed to the normal squeak) that went away as soon as I opened the hood... Anyway, I looked around and noticed a little smoke coming from the glow plug relay main power contacts while it was running which I thought was weird... shut it down and unplugged the control wires (didn't know which did what so undid both small wires) and taped up. I did a little looking online and now I'm thinking this could be normal and maybe within a minute or two it would have turned the relay off... Thoughts?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IIRC one the 7.3L the glow plugs are only on when the light is on.

On the later engines, the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 I know the computer will keep the glow plugs on after the engine is running for a little bit. I also know that if you jump start a 6.0 and disconnect your jumper cables before the glow plugs shut off you stall the engine.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It was 40* the other day and I needed the thing to run, needed glow plugs... I hooked the relay back up and good to go. I imagine the heat on the posts and smoke is from a bad part ($20 Amazon special I believe...), I'll keep running it until something comes up, but for now it's working...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals