• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 2.5 maybe blown?

98rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys/gals! My name is Dave and i just bought a 98 Ranger 2.5 2wd. I bought it for $150 :headbang:, has 229k, body is in great shape, interior is in great shape, 5 speed with a new clutch. here is the issue, I know this engine is the non-interference engine and all, timing belt looks like hell. The guy said its never been changed, Water pump was broken in half because the Fan was sheared off at the shaft that connects the clutch to the water pump. i think the fan sheered half way off and that is what caused the water pump to vibrate out of balance and completely break the pump. i tried to start it and it sounds like there is no compression at all. I think the water pump breaking had maybe jolted the motor enough to mess with the already weak and disintegrated belt. the belt didn't brake completely but from what i can see it really looks original. now when i go to start it, the "no compression sound" could be that the timing is so far off that the valves are opening at the wrong time and in lines making it not have compression? I've been a building cars roughly my whole life but never a 2.5 ranger motor. i know worst case i can get my money back threw scrap or even part out, but was gonna get your opinions before i pick it up tomorrow. thank you in advance!!

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
for diagnostics the timing belt will need to be replaced so If you are willing to put money into it This would be the best place to start. Once the belt is changed and the timing is correct do a compression test on the motor to see if there is an issue with the cylinders and go from there. Don't forget to fix the fan/water pump issue or you may do more damage.

Just my opinion on where to start. I think it is worth putting in $100 to $300 to check the motor and possibly have a good vehicle Or part out till you make your money back then scrap the rest for an added bonus after testing the motor and finding it bad..

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
You can check cam timing without much disassembly. Rotate the crankshaft to TDC on the belt cover, or where the keyway is at 12:00 on the nose of the crankshaft. The cam sprocket can be checked by viewing the front edge, looking for a triangle to match up to a pointer or mark on the front of the cylinder head. The plug behind the upper radiator hose should allow visual access without taking anything else apart.
Set to TDC and check the triangle (about the 4:00 o'clock position) to line up. If off, the cam timing is off.
To change the belt, you will need to remove the pulley and damper as there is minimal room to maneuver the belt from its working position. It can be done in a parking lot at night in the rain if needs be, but it is a LOT easier to remove the pulley, etc.
tom

98rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i seen the timing was off pretty good. put the new belt on and tried to start it. well compression blew out the PCV valve and smoke started to come from it and the dip stick as well. figured it was needing a head gasket so i removed the head. #2 and #3 piston are broken in half. so that leaves me with a $500 transmission for sale and then what ever parts people want for sale. scrap the rest. ill make my $150 back for sure... thanks for the help guys

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Here in GA you can get a complete engine, running, for less than $500. Won't be the best in the world, but will get you down the road. If all else is in good shape, it might be worthwhile to consider swapping in a used engine. The cost for a portable hoist/lift to do the removal and installation has also come down a whole lot. You might give some thought to what you could have with a few hundred dollars and a half day of effort vs the turn it into parts path. If you do decide to part it out, expect that it will take some time, and eventually you'll be left with a carcass to get rid of. On another site, someone has a 2008 Escape that has rusted out its rocker arms and 'other stuff' such that it will fail inspection. It only has 120k on the power train, 4WD 3.0v6. I suggested a trip to the South or SW to find a rust free model with broken engine/trans, and do a swap. He'd end up with a decent truck that he knew the condition about the engine & trans, etc. Inoperative vehicles lose $1k to $4k in value(depends on model and I may be low), so having something running as a lot more valuable. Any way, doing a swap is not that difficult and the price is not that great.
tom

98rangerdave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Here in GA you can get a complete engine, running, for less than $500. Won't be the best in the world, but will get you down the road. If all else is in good shape, it might be worthwhile to consider swapping in a used engine. The cost for a portable hoist/lift to do the removal and installation has also come down a whole lot. You might give some thought to what you could have with a few hundred dollars and a half day of effort vs the turn it into parts path. If you do decide to part it out, expect that it will take some time, and eventually you'll be left with a carcass to get rid of. On another site, someone has a 2008 Escape that has rusted out its rocker arms and 'other stuff' such that it will fail inspection. It only has 120k on the power train, 4WD 3.0v6. I suggested a trip to the South or SW to find a rust free model with broken engine/trans, and do a swap. He'd end up with a decent truck that he knew the condition about the engine & trans, etc. Inoperative vehicles lose $1k to $4k in value(depends on model and I may be low), so having something running as a lot more valuable. Any way, doing a swap is not that difficult and the price is not that great.
tom
i actually have a lift in my garage, here in NC these engines are like $1100 or more with 180K +. i have some people here that are interested in the ranger as it is. i thought about trying to find a short block that is good. everything on my head is fine from the looks of it. if i dont sell it before the week is up maybe ill just keep it and do a motor swap, shoot its 3/4 of the way done lol hahaha

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's what I was thinking too...

If the truck is in good shape... perfect candidate for V8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals