• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DJM 4/5 won't align??

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I installed:
DJM LCAs, UCAs, 2" drop coils, end links
NAPA part #264-2953 camber/caster kit

DJM Rear Flip Kit
Energy Suspension Poly bushings in rear leaves/shackles.

Calmax Shocks all around.

My final alignment numbers (that aren't in spec):

Driver's Front
+1.6* camber
+5.3* caster

Passenger Front
+1.8* camber
+4.4* caster

The mechanic said he had the camber bolts maxed out. Does anyone know how far you can turn the alignment cams? Should they be able to turn all the way around? I'm pretty sure there is more adjustment left in those bolts but the mechanic swore he slid the bolts all the way back and it wouldn't align.

What gives? Anybody else have this problem?

Last edited:

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've found the BKX-Centric offset poly bushings for the upper control arms..which could be a possible solution assuming that the alignment cams are maxed.

I've heard a lot of people having negative camber issues..but positive?

I could always just unbolt the UCAs and check for additional adjustment (and potentially find that they are indeed maxed) but I JUST got it done so I don't really want to take it back apart until I have a potential solution or second opinion in hand...

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone have pictures of their alignment cams after their alignment was done?

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I'm not totally surprised at your situation.

After a mild 1 1/4" drop on the front end of my 98 I could not get the front camber even close to -.5 degree to get within spec. I was at -1.5 on the left & -1.25 on the right, no issue with the frame, no issue with the upper control arms as well,

in the end I had to cut off the forward supports from the frame & relocate them outboard 1/4" & mig them back onto the frame to get the camber alignment back into spec.

Alarm bells should have gone off years ago when the truck went into an alignment shop & at that time the tech showed me that both arms were at the max end of their outward travel to just get to -.5, (this is with the OEM cam bolts) so looking back on that I took it that when the chassis came down the line the brackets were not welded into their proper place.

But in your situation you're saying you've too much positive camber...just the reverse from I was experiencing, your caster on the left looks good, the right is a bit shallow.

The aftermarket cams will spin 360 degrees as they are round. + or - 2 degrees

Last edited:

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, that's my problem. The tech said he maxed out the cams on both sides...but they are not even close to horizontal... I was under the impression they were supposed to go all the way around which is why I was surprised to hear him say they were maxed as shallow as they are. I'm on stands right now to fix a coolant leak, I think I'll mark one of the bolts with a paint pen and break it loose to see what's up. If he's wrong I'll break them all loose and max out the bolts then take it back in. :shrug:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Are you making use of the OEM camber plate/bolts?..they are not 360 degree round & do limit adjustment travel.

Consider a set of these.......

they do offer more adjustment than the OEM bolts

Last edited:

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just went out to the garage and broke loose one of the driver's side control arm cam bolts. It appears that the bolt won't turn 360...and that where the mechanic left it is indeed the maximum travel of the bolt... I will verify tomorrow but it looks like I may end up buying the BKX-Centric bushings.

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those are what I have...

NAPA part #264-2953 camber/caster kit

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Were they installed correctly?

the small shoulder goes inboard next to the frame bracket, if one tries to lay the large flat plate up against the frame bracket they will bind.

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They are installed correctly. The thrust washers are against the frame bracket and the cam washers are outside the thrust washers.

I'll post up a few pictures.

slanemann

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Having the same issue of positive camber with the 4/5 kit. Curious if you solved this.

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I haven't addressed the issue, been busy with work and travel. Did you solve it?

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Looking back on your issue, in this photo that cam ecentric is straight up in the *neutral* position. Can you not get it to rotate to move the arm outwards or inwards?

That plate looks as tho it is installed backwards, the shoulder should inside next to the frame support, the way it looks the plate will jam.

Attachments

Last edited:

icetherice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It rotates, just not very much. It's racked all the way inboard in that picture. I suppose I could alter the bolts and cam washers to allow more movement if I find that full range is obstructed somehow. I'll mess with it soon..planning to cut a coil from the front and block the rear or something...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals