• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New shocks, 2" lift - suggestions? '96 ranger 2WD

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I need new shocks and while I'm at it would like to do a simple 2" +/- mild lift. Can anyone suggest some good ways to go? I don't know where to start.

I usually buy OE quality or better. The lift is to be more able to cross some small streams in North Georgia without getting water through the bottom of the doors and into the cabin.

Master.Bator.68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What size tires are you running at the moment. And do you plan on going bigger?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What size tires are you running at the moment. And do you plan on going bigger?

Stock tires (I think they're 14") and I don't plan to go bigger. I got the truck used recently and it has new tires. I don't want to go serious off roading. I backpack up in the mountains and some of the trail heads are down forest service roads that cross small streams. Most are only a few inches deep but one is a good bit deeper if its rained.

I drive this truck daily almost 100 miles on the interstate in Atlanta (a horrible experience) so I don't want to do anything extreme to it. The ranger replaced a volvo station wagon which I did all the maintenance on. I've never put new shocks on a american made truck and don't really know who makes good shocks. The volvo got beilstein shocks and struts which were expensive but they really made a big difference.

Master.Bator.68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could always go with a simple coil spacer in the front and a block in the rear or change the shackle. Ive used bilsteins on nearly every vehicle ive owned and cant complain. But i could be biased. Lol. Ive had ranchos on 2 vehicles and they were pretty good too.

Master.Bator.68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you just want to go with new replacement shocks you could just amazon or rockauto some monroe, kyb, or gabriel shocks.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I bought some , I think they were poly spacers, but took them off, way to soft. You will probably want a 4" lift but washers are cheap to level it. I'm guessing 2wd? 235/75/15 tires will make it ride better and give you some lift, really depends on your rear end gearing. I'm not sure how you calibrate the speedo,mine you just change gears on the speedo cable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals