• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odd Electrical Issues. 91 Ranger 3.0 5spd

retrorich77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Only recently picked up this truck. Will post a video since it's easier but for now. The basics. All lights work correctly. But. When I turn on my headlights. I get a solid stuck on left turn signal indicator. High beam light on the dash stays solid too. Also. When turning on headlights. The voltage gauge drops straight to low side and the tach as well. I do currently have a slightly slipping alternator belt. Tightened it up. No dice. Also checked my connections at the battery

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bad grounds can force power to run through unexpected paths, like headlights or turn signals.

I'd start by checking, cleaning, and tightening all the ground connections in the vehicle. Even if it's not the immediate cause of your problem, it can eventually cause others.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 ^^^

Check head light grounds, they are on the rad support, battery ground cable should have a smaller wire connected to Rad support, that is there for the headlights to get best ground.

Just as an FYI, and why we both think "bad ground".
A light bulb comes on when power "passes thru" it.
If you hook up 12volts to both contacts on a light bulb nothing happens, no voltage/power is flowing "thru" the bulb/filament, so it doesn't glow.

If you hook up 12v and Ground(0 volts) then voltage/power will flow "thru" the bulb and it glows.

Many of the bulbs in a vehicle share common grounds and power, if a bulb has a poor ground then that power can flow to a better ground, if it "passes thru" another light bulb to the better ground then that light bulb would glow, because power is "passing thru" it

Last edited:

ginman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had a similar prob on a ford dually... after an hour or two of tracing/testing wires.. i noticed that the flasher/brake filament had simply burned loose, & dropped onto the parklight filament and was drawing power when i turned the lights on, illuminating the blinker arrow,& the left signal.

retrorich77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the replies. So far I've only gone through the battery cables and such. Will go more in depth tmrw. Tackling the one piece drive shaft tmrw. Previous Drive Shaft snapped like a pretzel randomly. in the mean time, here's a video displaying what I'm encountering.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dFmuZS_gwEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

retrorich77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Anyone? Thinking about going ahead, Replacing ALL the battery cables, adding a few extra grounds perhaps. Alternator looks old, so probably replace that. Battery is most definitely old but hasn't died yet. Finished the 1 Piece Driveshaft Swap this morning. Impressive Results.

retrorich77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Noticed today while driving if I hit a hard enough pothole all the cluster lighting comes on as it should and the gauges return to normal

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Noticed today while driving if I hit a hard enough pothole all the cluster lighting comes on as it should and the gauges return to normal

You need to sell that truck to someone who lives in New York, it would be working fine 99% of the time.
They don't have "potholes" there, it is just called "the street" :)

So then yes, you have a loose wire somewhere, start jiggling wires while someone watches lights and gauges

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals