• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55 E, n,s,w ?

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Are the bell housing bolt patterns and input shaft the same on all 5r55 transmissions for use with the 4.0 ohv ?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Well the 4.0 OHV has always had the same bolt pattern, so if the transmission was originally behind a 4.0, then yes, they're the same bolt pattern.

The 5r55S, W, and N though, while they have very similar names, are entirely different internally than the 5r55E used in Rangers. They probably have different gear ratios, different sensors, dimensions, etc. Some of these were used behind V8s which have different bell housing patterns. I don't know about the input shaft.

Basically I wouldn't bother even looking at the N,S, or W transmissions. Look for a 5R55E out of a Ranger or Explorer.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thank you for your reply, the 5r55E I'm currently running is fine[170k]. I'm going to have a "power flush" by a very reputable transmission shop monday, when I called and talked to the owner of the shop [30years experience] , he did not recommend the heavy of a flush on a high mileage 5r55e, he recommended a std.pan filter type maintenance , I asked him if maybe a freshen up kind of rebuild in the future ie; VB, transgo, etc, he said these transmission are pretty weak and if I wanted a little more hd transmission I should consider a manual...well..I like automatics.. hence the question.
There are quite a few members on this forum that agree with this reasoning, I've never been one to go with flow, but may need to take a new position.

One more note, I have read you CAN build a 5r55e pretty strong with a lot money which I don't have and won't have,
More input would be appreciated, thanks again

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't be afraid of a flush. I highly doubt it's a "power" flush. Most flush machines just hook up to the cooler lines and let the transmission's own pump pump the old fluid out, while the machine simultaneously pumps fresh fluid in. When people hear the word "flush," they seem to envision power washing the inside of the trans or something, and that is simply not what happens. I've HEARD of machines that supposedly force fluid through the trans at a high pressure, but I've searched, and I've NEVER actually seen one, and I doubt that such a thing even exists. More likely, someone just THINKS that's what it does.

See my post in this thread: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74839
No need for me to type that all over again.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Very good post exbass94, I'm not sure of the procedure of the shop i'm using but I'll let you know next week,preventative maintenance has always been a pet peeve. I'll stay with the 5r till it quits and then worry about it.

edit:to clear things up , the owner didn't mean don't do a complete flush on all hi mile tranny's,[ just the one's as you stated] no previous maintenance . My last pan drop filter change was 10-12k, I now think it should be fine.

Thanks again for enlightenment.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I tend to disagree with the idea that you shouldn't flush a high-mile trans that has not been kept up with.

That's like saying "well, I'm late for changing my oil, might as well never do it".

I flushed the trans on my sister's first car at 150K miles. It had never been serviced before. Three years later and over 50K miles (she was driving from Harrisburg PA to Nashville TN a few times a year) it was still going strong when a water main broke under the car.

If a transmission fails shortly after a flush it probably already had an issue that was about to present itself, or was being chalked up to sticking valves and dirty fluid. Then the fluid get changed, the symptom doesn't improve, and now the owner says the flush broke the trans. Then the myth gets repeated over and over.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Well it sure makes sense ,when you think about it ,anything mechanical should get maintenance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals