• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does this sound like blend door problem, or actuator?

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1996 Ford Ranger w/ 130,000 miles.

Generally stuck on full-hot. However if one turns the temperature knob, there's sound like something is moving, but it doesn't usually work. Once when trying it about 15x in a row, I got it to full-cold. Then I put it back to full-hot. Then tried full-cold again - sound, but same, no workie.

Does that sound like the door, or the actuator to you?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds like the actuator. If it's making a thunk noise it is the actuator.

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the actuator. If it's making a thunk noise it is the actuator.
OK cool, thanks! Intuitively it sounded like that to me as well, but then the door seemed so much more common of a problem...

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pulled actuator out - it turns 90 degrees, and with a lot of torque.

So...:dunno: Could it be the connection between the actuator & the blend door? So maybe that *one* time it caught properly and got it to go to cold, but in general won't...?

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It sounds like you need to replace your blend door, the plastic breaks were the actuator goes into it. The best way is to buy the new housing/door from Ford. That's what I did for my 97 Ranger. There is a aftermarket blend door repair kit that you can get from Doorman. With the aftermarket kit you don't have the pull the instrument panel. You have to cut up the heater box to get the door out so that you can install the repair kit. That's why I don't like the repair kit. I may try the repair kit on our 99 Explorer when it's blend door breaks. I wouldn't cut up the heater box to get the door out. I will remove the box to get the door out. Then use the repair kit.

Last edited:

bbb0777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like you need to replace your blend door, the plastic breaks were the actuator goes into it. The best way is to buy the new housing/door from Ford. That's what I did for my 97 Ranger. There is a aftermarket blend door repair kit that you can get from Doorman. With the aftermarket kit you don't have the pull the instrument panel. You have to cut up the heater box to get the door out so that you can install the repair kit. That's why I don't like the repair kit. I may try the repair kit on our 99 Explorer when it's blend door breaks. I wouldn't cut up the heater box to get the door out. I will remove the box to get the door out. Then use the repair kit.
I'm familiar (well, have read about) two ways to replace the door: The proper one, which involves pulling the dash, and the more ghetto/practical way of cutting into the heater box.

When you say remove the box - do you mean after pulling the dash, or is that a third method I wasn't familiar with? Thanks,

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You would still have to pull the dash if you don't want to cut up the heater box. The repair kit would just save you money over buy a new blend door/heater box.
The Ranger dash is very well put together and is one of the easier to remove and install.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals