• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Diesel Ranger - MISC Sensor?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On wiring diagram for '86 2.3l Ranger Diesel I only see ECT(Engine coolant temp) sensor, it's the only sensor it shows, this tells "computer" the engine temp.

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
yea the coolant temp sensor is right by the inlet to the engine, and my temp gauge works, but this one is just a mystery to me... :S

What diagram do you have, can you show me? Maybe its different than the ones i have looked at.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are two "temp" readers, one for the gauge called a Sender, and one for the computer called a Sensor.
Sensors usually have 2 or more wires
Senders just 1 wire, i.e. oil pressure sender and coolant temp sender

Google: autozone 1984 ranger wiring

Click on the first link and scroll down to 1984 Ranger diesel wiring

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
oh okay... will the "Sender" looks like someone made it work cause the plug has 2 slots, but the "Sender" only has one, i spliced the wire and made it so the single unit could hook into the double slot wire. The unit im trying to figure out what it is for, has 2 spots to hook into, but they are sheared off. All the manuals, and wiring diagrams i have looked at, only say it has a sensor, have not read of a sender or anything else like that but it may just not be listed.

83-84 is a 2.2L Perkins, 85-87 is the 2.3L Mitsubishi. So the 84 diagram probably isnt quite the same.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the sender wire's plug has 2 slots but should only have 1 wire, and 1 connection on the sender.

ECT sensor will have 2 connections and 2 wires on the plug

Sorry, '86 2.3l is in that wiring diagram, as well as '84 2.2l

I would pull it out and have a look, if coolant comes out the hole then it is an ECT sensor

Last edited:

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
yes coolant comes out of the hole that i already have a wire going to. It usually has one plug, but 2 slots, but the old owner put in one from something else and it only has one nipple, so like i said i spliced it and made it so it could connect to the factory 2 prong plug. The other one, the one in question, has 2 prongs on it that are sheared off, there is a plug that looks like it would go there, but it only has one prong, unless there is another that i dont see lol. My temp gauge does work, although, doesnt go into the middle of normal, just the lower half.

I took it to a local delica dealer/service who works with 4d56 engines (2.5 Mitsu, same engine, just stroked and better head) they said the 4d56 engines do not have that sensor so he has no idea what it would be for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals