• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5r55 hisses

nesbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I hear a hissing noise coming from the transmission "area" when i select either drive or reverse. Sounds similar to an air leak. Worse when warm. Can hear it at idle when stopped.

Otherwise the transmission seems ok. I checked fluid level and it's fine. I've read similar posts on the net, but no real conclusions to the problem.

2003 xlt 4x4 with 27k miles.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
i just rebuilt a 5r55 in my wifes explorer because the OD planet exploded. on first drive i experienced the "hiss" while in reverse and drive with foot on the brake. i re adjusted the intermediate band and it went a way. however, this is not the kind of thing that will happen by it self. you dont seem to have enough miles on your truck to worry about servo bore wear either. i would find a transmission shop that knows the 5R55's and have it checked out. these transmissions are touchy and can be expensive to fix.

nesbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi fangotango306,

Thanks for the reply. I just noticed it the other day. As you can guess by the mileage I don't use the truck often. But I do run it every week or so to keep things lubricated.

Since it only hisses in gear I assume it's the transmission but I would have to let a shop confirm that. I guess it's possible it could be a head gasket leak but I doubt that would be sensitive to gear position...

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
very doubtful that its a head gasket with that low of miles, unless you are very hard on the truck. If you are not a mechanic or comfortable with your own diagnosis i would still stick with the recommendation of taking it to a shop/dealer. I have run into a lot of strange things on vehicles. I've been working on my own junk for 20 yrs. sometimes it has saved me tons and sometimes i have replaced the wrong thing and over spent when i needed something else..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals