• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swap questions

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
ok i will be swaping in drive train from a 91 explouer in my 87 ext cab ranger. should i keep my front coils springs are use the explouer ones? the ranger is 4wd by the way.

i have heard that when i swap in the leafs springs from the explouer that it will rase my ass end up about an inch are two. if so can i use a leveling kit to rase my front up to match? are will the coil spring from the exploue fix this problem? thanks for your help guys!!!

pics will come soon when i start to do the swap just looking for a car to get me BUY while i do the swap??

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you do know you have to do a spring over? the explorer leafs will be to stiff, so take a couple out, you are goin to have to mess around with the to get the ride hight you want. mix and mach both leaf packs. the front if you use the explorer springs you might have to put in spacers uner the coil to get it to sit the way you want it, lots of messing a round to see how you want it. good luck. EDIT: explorer

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
how stiff are we talking? i sometime hauls stuff so let me know?spring leaf wise that is. witch are stiffer the coil spring on the ranger are explouer?

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
they would be stiff, if they were to stiff you always can take aleaf out of the pack to soften it up,[unloaded] the front coils should be stiffer on the explorer since it has to carry the 4.0 moter, and you have a lighter 2.9. remember you can put spacers under your coils to, if the front is lower then the back after you do the swap.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive done it many of times, it isnt stiff to the point where its unbearable, and also u want stiffer for hauling, and the explorer springs just to me seem to be a better fit for the back of a ranger then they were in the back of the explorer

and explorer leafs are only 3 leafs, but the three leaves are considerably thicker then that of the ranger leafs, just look up in the tech library about it

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys that helps out a lot. i will be taking pics of the tera down of the explouer here soon i will post them then. i am excited about the swap!! i like my truck to sit leavel so i will have to see when i get it done. if anyone has any more info i will take it. later guys thanks for the help!!

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i found out to day out wheeling dog boy did the rear explorer leaf swap, dident do any thing to them,just instaled them, and he likes it, it rids not to stiff at all. and his truck flexes pretty good to, for bein stock, so you should be fine just putting them in, his was the three leaf pack. hope that helped you.

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
yea it did thank you. that is a sharp truck you have. any more plans for it? i will be lifting mine in the future with a 6 inch lift kit from sky jacker.

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
frogot to ask will my rims on my ranger fit the explouer axles??? just wounding??? thanks

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Yep Rangers and Explorers have the same bolt pattern.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya the rims will fit,same lug patern. thanks, im swaping in a 1992 explorer dana 35 front axle and the explorer 8.8 rear axle. im putting a locker in the front and keeping the limited slip in the rear, getting sky jacker coils, winch. later down the road i want to do a caged up flat bed.

off_road_junkie21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 lt V6
Transmission
Manual
sounds good i am going to lift mine with sky jacker in the next year. i am using the 6 inch kit from them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals