• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tethering with an unlimited plan

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im not sure how many do this. we live on a hillside in what is basically a retirement park with 40 or so trailors.. nice little community. but... the land owner wont let cable, satelite, dish, or any internet or tv companys. run up the hill to us.

being 20 without internet or tv is more or less boring.

ive been reading about verizon, sprint, at&t and t-mobiles unlimited plans. but from what ive found there iether not truly unlimited or you get like 6 gigs to tether. i need more than that. as my girl friend and i work differwnt shifts the dvd player/ tv is always on. as would be netflix.

anyone have any thoughts or input?help..

..and the last person to start a petition to get internet/tv was evicted.. or so ive been told.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
First things that come to mind. Depending on your area, If you have telephones you might be able to get internet over the phone lines with an adsl modem, might not be unlimited but the limits are usually much higher than mobile data plans. Over the air tv can be done by just throwing an antenna on the roof.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First things that come to mind. Depending on your area, If you have telephones you might be able to get internet over the phone lines with an adsl modem, might not be unlimited but the limits are usually much higher than mobile data plans. Over the air tv can be done by just throwing an antenna on the roof.
this is what i had as a kid. i cant think of any companys that still offer this in my area. ill have to look into it.

right now we have antenna tv. ive been told that one of obamas budget cuts is going to be some if not all of the antenna channels

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not allowed tv or Internet? Move haha. Sprint is truly unlimited but it's hard to do the tether thing. They block most of those apps in the app store but you can still get them from the apps websites no problem usually. Fox fi is a big one but it doesn't work on jellybean. The website has a list of what it works with and what carriers.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure but most places in the US get some TV channels via OTA(antenna), usually just the networks, i.e. ABC, CBS, etc...., but free.......forever.
Oops, I see you do get those channels, not up to Obama as far as those are concerned, he could remove the requirement for Local stations to broadcast but that would open a whole can of worms between local and cable distribution, and wouldn't save the Feds a dime, they would actually lose revenue because they charge the stations yearly for frequency licenses.

There are also "rock" satellite dish covers, not for internet but for TV, these can be used even if dishes are banned because they look like rocks not dishes, and you have a rock or two in Idaho :)
Google: satellite dish rock

The phone line is a good option if available.
A directional WiFi antenna might be usable as well, these look like skeletal versions of satellite dishes, so might not be allowed, you could say its a new style UHF antenna if those are allowed :) .
These allow you to tap into Free WiFi locations from several miles away that you can see from the hill, they are line-of-sight only.
Most untreated glass is microwave transparent, so satellite and WiFi signals pass thru it just fine.
If you know someone "down the hill" whose house you can see from a window in your house then you can setup a wifi link and split internet cost with them.
And you can setup a satellite dish inside and get the signal thru a window, even double pane, just can't have that reflective metallic coating on it.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'm on sprint, it is truly unlimited and i don't get throttled down either. I wifi Tether my phone to everything i have, laptop, internet tablet, 360, etc... but i did one thing and that was root my phone and then downloaded a wifi tether app and have been good since. My phone is a galaxly s2 running on sprints 4g wimax network, think one of the last phones to use it. 3g isn't anything to brag about on sprint but their 4g lte is nice...when my fiancée does get the signal which is only a few small spots in town. I get my Wimax almost everywhere and 3g everywhere. As far a data roaming, unlimited of that too. Sprint also doesn't do Bluetooth or USB tethering anymore, wifi only.

Use to be on TMobile and their 3g is nice when it comes to speed, can only imagine their 4g lte. They do have unlimited data plans but will throttle you down after you go over what you pay for the high speed amount to 2g. Now my buddy has them and has no problems, says their 2g is faster then sprints 3g, and i can agree...you can't steam music very well on sprints 3g but you can all day long on TMobiles 2g according too him.

Before doing anything, check your area and see if you get 4g from whoever you are wanting to go with, not all carriers are created equal.

And what is rooting...it's a way of getting administrative access to your device, just like on a computer when you right click on something and run as administrator.

Last month i used 30gigs of data, my bill, the same as it has always been.

If you choose to root your phone, you do it at your own risk. Not hard and process is reversible. Took me 5 minutes to do mine.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Federal Law prohibits anyone (landlord,community,HOA, etc.) from not allowing you to have a dish installed at your place of residence. (renting or not).

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
PDAnet+ is the app I am using. I have used 15.8g since feb 18..... Verizon 3g is not ideal for streaming but it does work. Works alot better on 4Glte. but unlimited plans are no longer avail from verizon..... infact I have to pay retail for my next phone because if I sign a new contract I lose my plan.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have Cricket Wireless, and with a smart phone you can usually have the option to use the phone as a wireless hot-spot which I have done numerous times, granted with the phone you are limited to 2GB at full speed, and after that it gets slowed down, but it is still faster than dial-up modem even at the slower speed. On their normal wireless internet systems you can get I think 8GB at full speed, then it gets slowed down after that, but even then its better than not having internet at all. I've had to download very large files that take lots of time on slower connections, so I just start the download and goto work, when I get home its done and ready for me to use. There are ways around the waiting for stuff to download on slower connections.

If you are needing the internet, are on a budget, etc. don't get the fastest you can, get the middle or lower speed system, and learn to control your use. There's really no way around it, even the so called "Unlimited" services will eventually start slowing your connection down if you are using huge amounts of bandwidth.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Federal Law prohibits anyone (landlord,community,HOA, etc.) from not allowing you to have a dish installed at your place of residence. (renting or not).
This is true, the FCC has this
"In 1996, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted rules for Over-the-Air-Reception Devices (“OTARD” rules). The OTARD rules prohibit restrictions on a property owner or tenant’s right to install, maintain, or use an antenna to receive video programming from direct broadcast satellites (DBS), broadband radio services (formerly referred to as multichannel multipoint distribution services or MMDS), and television broadcast stations (TVBS). However, there are exceptions to the OTARD rules, including provisions for safety and preservation of historic areas."

But............there is always a but with lawyers and laws, lol.
Often when you rent a place you have to sign a renters agreement, which will most likely acknowledge the 1996 FCC ruling and the fact that you are willing to give up that "right" to live in this rental by signing the renter's agreement.
And yes you can give up "rights" even very important rights, every time you leave the US you give up most personal "rights" by default, on return to the US Customs officers can search and detain you without warrant or cause, random searches are common.

And a landlord can always find a reason to evict someone, lol, so best to tread lightly if you like living somewhere, or buy the place and make your own decisions.

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I get 250gig unthrottled a month with comcast.... and I use most of it. I used 30g on my phone before I discovered tethering.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
FWIW, with Verizon you can tether without rooting the phone. I use Foxfi as well. Also, PDAnet comes with Foxfi now.

Interstingly enough, I tried to connect my tablet to it last night (Acer A210 with Jellybean) and it would connect to my phone, but it would not actually use the connection. I did not know JB had issues with it.

EDIT: If you are wondering WHY it is that Verizon doesn't have their grubby hands all over tethering.... they were forced to give it for free by the FCC.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

Last edited:

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Well lets see.... Wireless is what I do.. Or used to anyway. How far are you from someone (friend) that can get broadband? If you are in range... I can help you lay out a stealth system that he won't be able to find. I will need geo coordinates for both ends of the link.

That will get you internet... But you should be able to use Hulu or something like that for TV. Then of course if you know more stealth you can torrent.

You will end up with a couple hundred dollars investment though.

I once set up an 8 meg link between Stone mtn and Long Mtn in GA. But that required two $1200 antennas and some $2500 each end radios. Total distance was about 48 miles. LOS of course.

I forgot to mention that link was under ideal weather conditions... Rain fade would knock the speed down consierably or even completely out from time to time.

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I tether with my phone all the time. I have sprint so there is no limit on data, but if they catch you doing it they will charge you. I work as a pool manager in the summer and it gets ungodly boring. So I bring my laptop and browse the internet for 8 hours at a time. Its not the fastest as sprints 3g is laughable, but it passes the time.

Sent from, wait how did this get here?

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like your lifestyle is mis-matched to your residence. If you don't want to move or can't afford to move, you only have a coupla options: adjust your lifestyle until you can move, or dump a lot of time/money/effort into toys and devices that may be useless when you do move. If it were me I would: get a radio and start listening to it rather than watching TV...takes some getting used to, but it was the only game in town way back when and people managed to live anyway; if the OTA TV programs suck, get a DVD player and subscribe to netflix home delivery or some other service; make it a date with your lady to visit someplace that has free Internet and spend a hour or so each evening together surfing; when all of the above get boring, get out and do something rather than sitting at home in an electronic vegetative state...take your lady for a walk, hold hands, smooch...go to the movies, go skating, or just give the bedroom a workout. You CAN live a full and satisfying life without six to ten special electronic devices to fill every hour of your waking days with "entertainment." This is not a dig or put down, just a reminder that there's a great, big, exciting world out there beyond the Web, Tweeter, Headspace, and Facespace...and it's a bit different everyday, you just have to get out there and experience it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals