• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do MOOG (blue) "thermoplastic" bushings ever "bulge" when torqued down??

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Do MOOG (blue) "thermoplastic" bushings ever "bulge" when torqued down??

Just installed the most excellent Moog K7275 repl. end links on my 29mm front sway bar ('cause the OEM bushings finally disintegrated). Moog uses a beefy 7/16" bolt for the stems, vs. the 3/8" OEM, and the 4 bushings per link are made of the BLUE Moog/RAMCOA (thermoplastic? urethane?) compound.

Hat tip to Rock Auto for supplying the whole link for less than the bushings alone go for elsewhere.

Replaced the pair of sway bar bushings too (Moog K80080... blue, same stuff?)

ANYWAY... my question is, the installation sheet for the end links says to torque the nut until the bushings just barely bulge from the compression, then back off a 1/4 turn. They show a grainy photo by way of illustration, but the photo seems to show old-style neoprene bushings doing the bulging, eh wot?

I've cranked down pretty hard, gone out and driven some "slalom" S-curves, then tightened some more... still no BULGE... KEEP GOING??? Don't want to crunch the metal sleeves over the bolt. Show me the Jedi wisdom...

thanks in advance

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I've never had any of their products bulge with the exception of the sway bar link bushings that were put in my moms explorer by Les Schuab. Those idiots used the impact and flattened them like pancakes.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you torqued them to spec, they shouldnt bulge TOO awfully bad.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
That's just it, there is no NUMERICAL torque spec., only visual... OK, when it stops raining, I'll keep wrenching... was that 5/8" on the bolt-head and 11/16" on the nut?... err duh other way 'round? LOVE the metric/English mix on Duh Ranger... not.

I've never had any of their products bulge with the exception of the sway bar link bushings that were put in my moms explorer by Les Schuab. Those idiots used the impact and flattened them like pancakes.
LULZ... I'm guessing that's the name of a Ford Stealership... there's just some guy's names that are destined to be car dealers... new or used... :derisive:

But that's good info... at least I know they'll bulge under something less than a 30T hydraulic press.

TheTwanksta

09/12 07/13 STOTM
Article Contributor
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just installed these on my 06, heres what mine look like.

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I used the same ones on my truck and got the slight bulge. I didn't use torque specs that were provided, because I have the superlift end links, but it has been holding up well.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Twanksta, excellent pix!... but what kind of wild (white?) material are you using for the sway bar bushing??:icon_confused:

Anyway, got my slight bulge (so to speak)... but after just 3 weeks, the cupped washer/retainers on my Moog links are already half-RUSTED! :icon_surprised: Crap, now I gotta drop 'em, wire wheel 'em, paint 'em... :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals