• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbags deployed, where to start

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wednesday night I was out and hit a rock I didn't see in time with my lower control arm. I'm replacing the arm tomorrow but the shock from the hit set off my airbags and I don't want to go to the dealer to have them drain my bank account so I have a few questions.

• What do I need?
    I know I'll need both bags, a new crash sensor and a computer reset. Is there anything I'm missing
  • How to reset the computer?
    do the airbags have their own computer that I can just replace
  • Where do I get the parts?

Hooligan2c

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Junk yard the airbags, they are quite common. The bags themselves do not have the reset in them, they are just plug ins. You can probably find everything you need in they yard. I myself am not sure on the resetting of the computer though. If you need airbags, I can get them for you so shoot me an email.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Air bag, crash sensor, if the seatbelt pretensioners went off you'll need those (not sure if a 00 ranger has em) and once the RCM (restraints control module) registers a deployment it needs to be replaced.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
youd think theyd make these things resuable, well, guess its true, the more simple the better

SeanWilson

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
After a impact or a crash the sensor trips, to reset your trucks computer, which mainly turns your fuel pump back on (turns off so if your engine bay catches fire it wont push more fuel into it)
-there is a little push button switch on the passenger side floor board close to dead center of the glove box just pull the carpet back a little bit (at the top where it disappears up and into the dash) just about at the carpet line there is a little RED button. push that and it will reset your computer. :icon_cheers:

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
After a impact or a crash the sensor trips, to reset your trucks computer, which mainly turns your fuel pump back on (turns off so if your engine bay catches fire it wont push more fuel into it)
-there is a little push button switch on the passenger side floor board close to dead center of the glove box just pull the carpet back a little bit (at the top where it disappears up and into the dash) just about at the carpet line there is a little RED button. push that and it will reset your computer. :icon_cheers:
I don't think so.

All that red button does is reset the motion tripped breaker to the fuel pump. Nothing happens at the computer, much less the airbag module.

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I plan on getting my passenger airbag and most of the parts from a junkyard I just want to make one trip and get everything at once. My seat belts still latch so I don't think I have the pretensioners. Where is the RCM located? is that the "computer" that needs to be reset?

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so the new bags are in. if this happens to someone with a similar problem here's what I did. my truck is a 2000 and I read that if they look they same then they will work for the drivers airbag and I'm pretty sure all passengers work. I didn't have the seat belt tensioners so I didn't have to replace any of that.

I took out the battery and let it sit for about 30min to and hour with the headlights on to drain all power from the truck. I took out the drivers airbag then passenger and then the RCM. then I replaced both bags and connected the new sensor after both bags were in.

I reconnected the battery and my truck would beep slowly five times and repeat five times then would come back after 45 minutes of driving. The beeping is from a bad bulb in the cluster. I replaced it and I got airbag code 29. from my research airbag codes are supposed to disable the airbag system but this code wasn't listed as on of those. code 29 means that RCM is from another truck and doesn't match your trucks computer. I don't know yet how to get rid of this flashing code or if it disables my airbag system.

My truck is a 2000. my driver airbag is from a 99 and the passenger and RCM are from an 01. aside from the code everything works properly.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure that clock spring is in right on the steering wheel or you could be in for a surprise. As for the Code 29 i'm not too sure. 99 and 01 are same generation i think...

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The RCM is a programmable module and needs to be configured to your truck using as built data. Something you need the dealer to do, or someone with a capable scan tool.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Make sure that clock spring is in right on the steering wheel or you could be in for a surprise. As for the Code 29 i'm not too sure. 99 and 01 are same generation i think...
:icon_confused: What for? He didn't remove the steering wheel, just the airbag from the steering wheel.

Snal

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah I heard about the clockspring if the connecters for all of the cables are melted than I'd need a new clockspring but everything was fine so I didn't need to. I've yet to visit the dealer about the code but once I get all my other stuff fixed i'll be heading their way

Benjie_L

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You have to make sure if the airbag is real or fake. There's a report over fake airbags. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has released a warning that a number of individuals who get alternative airbags after an accident are in danger. The bags in question are counterfeit air bags, set up due to being amazingly inexpensive and have been found to not work, partially work or explode if activated.

raven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is something I know enough about to be dangerous. =)

The airbag system is often coded to the VIN of the vehicle, and the VIN is encoded into the ECU. These are anti-theft and public safety "features", designed to make it more difficult for you to self-service these systems. Putting in a different ECU or a different airbag diagnostic module without a dealer may cause discrepancies and might cause you to fail a DMV, state or dealer inspection.

If you change the airbag system from a donor vehicle to your own, you may or may not run into problems. I live in Florida, a state without any inspections, so I have no qualms about doing my own repairs. I am also aware that some state inspections that will not fail your vehicle for airbag issues either. The vehicle will be noted as having non-functional airbags which prevents you from receiving the insurance discount until a dealer or properly equipped repair shop "fixes" the system. For a dealer inspection for the purposes of a used car sale, it would then be required that you to notify the buyer of your vehicle the airbag is non-functional and this will obviously devalue the vehicle accordingly. Failure to do so could cause huge legal liability if the new owner is killed in an accident where the airbag could have or should have deployed.

Another issue you can run into is that I have also heard that to even register a vehicle, sometimes they will attach a scan tool and refuse to register the vehicle if the ECU VIN does not match the vehicle VIN. In some older cars, if you could dump the raw ECU program to a file and edit it with a hex editor on a computer, you could change the VIN to that of the airbag donor and re-flash. This would cause the SRS to work just fine, but the repair will be detectable.

So much for that clear Carfax! This may come up in an inspection as well. It will look suspicious if the vehicle VIN they are reading is totaled in a junkyard, and you will have explaining to do. Now you are back at square one because once you mention you replaced the airbag systems yourself and hacked the ECU to make it work, you will likely have to make that same trip to a dealer or shop.

I am not sure if all Ford SRS systems do this, but I know that most import systems do. The computer systems they use for reprogramming are actually extremely simple, but they seem to specifically sell them at a price point that would exclude most small-time car thieves and DIYers but not be a burden for repair or body shops.

It is also not difficult to disable the driver side airbag on a Ranger, if I recall it takes 3 small wires, a relay and either a momentary or push-button switch. Press the button and the airbag is immediately turned off for the duration of that drive and the SRS yellow light will be illuminated on the dash. You don't have to worry about the passenger side because Ford already provides a disable switch and associated yellow light already.

My own justification to prefer a push-button rather than a switch would be that I don't want to have to remember to turn airbags back on and want to press the button for temporary disable at specific times. These would include a small fender bender that might become a huge expense if the airbags deploy. In a major accident happening unexpectedly like a car going over the median and hitting you head on you obviously have very little time. You would not have time to even think about reaching to press the button. This gives the choice of no airbags while ensuring you would not be able to disable the airbag in a situation where it would be "needed".

Be aware that adding either a switch or push-button is highly illegal unless you have a exemption from the NHTSA issue and on file. This exemption paperwork must follow the car throughout its whole life, and ugly stickers must be affixed to the dashboard of the vehicle.

You can access form No. 2127-0588, the NHTSA Request for Air Bag On-Off Switch here. The actual law is over 200 pages it seems, but the government provides a pretty complete Air Bag Deactivation FAQ.

If you don't go through this process, you may be found guilty of a criminal misdemeanor offense and/or fined a large amount (something like a minimum of $3500-$5000 depending on where you live). Insurance may not cover you at all in an accident if the airbag fails to deploy because of your "unauthorized" modifications to the system. If you are on record as having illegally tampered with a vehicle, this may prevent employment in the automotive industry or cause you to lose your current job, depending on the policies of your employer. In 2004, West Coast Customers was fined $16,000 for an episode of Pimp-My-Ride where they actually filmed themselves committing the "crimes".

On the other hand, while I would of course never commit such a heinous and unspeakable crime of not first receiving government scrutiny, approval, and authorization of, it is very easy to do undetectably.

Last edited:

bailinbailey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
About to replace air bags

I just bought used but non deployed air bag on ebay. I had the air bag codes and I disconnected the battery for a day. reinstalled battery and drove truck for 30 minutes and codes went away and did not come back. it has been 2 months.
My seat belt will not extend so I have to find someone to reset it. any ideas for at home fix?:beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals