• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is there any benefit from keeping the original oil in for 7,500 miles?

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm up to 3K on the new Ranger and I'm getting twitchy about wanting to change the oil. I've got free oil change coupons coming out the wazoo.
But, the service manager who I actually don't think is trying to steer me wrong suggests leaving it in for the full 7,500 miles.

Is there any reason to leave it in there until 7,500? Does Ford put in any break-in additives at the factory or anything like that?

With the 4.0, semi-synthetic is the stock oil.

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Blend is fine up to 7,500 miles. Regular is rated to 5,000 now and full synthetic is rated 10,000 plus now. If it makes you more comfortable change it around 5,000. Now these are rated for everyday driving. If you tow more or live in harsh conditions change it more often.

I run Mobil 1 extended performance and change mine at 12,000 miles or once a year. Course use the best possible filter if you go to the max recommended life. All oils MUST meet a certain government spec, even the house brand oils.

Oil is the life blood of the engine. use the best your wallet will allow.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I was trying to avoid having this be another discussion on how long oil lasts in terms of miles. We're rich in threads on that topic. I'm asking a really specific question:
Why would the service manager say "leave the original oil in for 7500 miles?"

A friend who bought a new Exploder bought the pre-paid service for 3 years and the 7 year extended warrantee. On that vehicle they're doing a tranny fluid change at 3K but leaving the motor oil in until 7,500.

P.S. Your Ranger is amazing. I love the orange dash bezel amongst many other things.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
first 100 k on these you could probably change the oil 3 times and get away with it...and the dealer gets out cheap....your walking not so long after.

my new truck would have the oil changed and filter cut and inspected at 1500 miles and probably every 5-7000 after that untill it started using oil.

yes the service rep has something to gain out of recommending 7500 oil intervals especially if you have free change coupons.

cmon man:shok:

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^Agreed.

Also, I change when it feels neccesary. I regularly visually inspect the oil and keep track of how many miles it's been since the last change, and decide accordingly.

bartkowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i change mine every 3000 or 3 month but mine would be considered severe duty, lots of stop and go, dirty dust conditions, high revs, frequent 4x4 use, and long idling conditions. i change my other fluids at half the recomended intervals due to this as well. My opinion is better to spend $20-$25 now and change the oil, than who knows how much to swap an engine later

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Is there any "benefit" to changing it ever 7500? Well, you save money/time by not changing it more often than necessary, that's about it. 7500 miles is a bit too long to wait though IMO. But 3k is way too soon and unnecessary. Change it every 5k. I believe that's what Ford recommends too, check your owner's manual to be sure.

Last edited:

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Too funny...
Of course I read the manual. It's 7,500. I guess no one knows a specific answer to that question in blue up above which is cool. I was hoping someone from Ford corp might comment. But, that might be career limiting so that's understandable.

Some car companies add special "molly" grease to the new motor and they think it's beneficial to let that mix with the oil and let it run around in there for a while before replacing the oil. And, of course, you never really replace it all anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals