• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger/Bronco2/Explorer REAR brake upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

joerjano1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have 02 ranger 4x4. Have 10 inch drums and looking for a way to convert to discs. I dont want to swap rear ends. I have read that there are "junkyard ways" and that there is no "junkyard way". Anybody have a definate way to do this? If not, is there a good kit out there to buy? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

rat_ranger

December 2009 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
get the SN95 bracket from here http://www.northracecars.com/Brakes.html , its the top row far right one. it bolts on in place of your backing plate, you justslide a mustang rotor on your axle(non cobra rotor) and bolt on mustang calipers. I used a cobra soft line to go from my factory hard line to the caliper. but you may have to change the hard line on the axle with some years. total it could be done around, $500 using all new parts, cheaper if you go to the junkyard for calipers.

* if you check out my car domain I am using the cobra bracket from them and running the 12in rotor. its a fairly simle bolt on, but you do have to take the axle shafts out to do it right.

Last edited:

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BroncoII
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have 02 ranger 4x4. Have 10 inch drums and looking for a way to convert to discs. I dont want to swap rear ends. I have read that there are "junkyard ways" and that there is no "junkyard way". Anybody have a definate way to do this? If not, is there a good kit out there to buy? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
use a 95 crown vic rear disc setup completely bolt on my buddy paid sity bucks at the wreckers(canadian cash)for both sides but double check the axle tubes where the backig plate bolts up.
good luck

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The Crown Vic brakes setup DOES NOT "bolt" to a Ranger.

The Crown Vic even though it has the smaller 28-spline axle shafts
uses the LARGE (explorer) brake mounting flange

the CrownVic/Marquis/Towncar setup differs from the explorer system only in detail

Those details are:
1)The Crown Vic uses what jokingly call a "bikini" dustshield that
protects ONLY the parking brake assembly rather than the full disc
like the Explorer.

2)the Vic setup is IDENTICAL on both sides of the vehicle.
In essence it ses TWO left side assemblies, so that on the
left the caliper is behind thw axle and on the passenger side
it is in front of the axle, this creates what would be a MASSIVE
parking brake cable routing nightmare on a Ranger.

ALL of the "junkyard Easy" brake swaps that have been proposed
have one thing in common, they all require some welding,either to the flange on the axle, NEW flanges on the housing or modiication (redrilling after welding) to the backing plate.

Welding is not "Easy" for most people

"Easy" means 3/8" drive socket set and a prybar.

If you need to weld you may as well weld spring and shock mounts to a complete explorer axle and get the 31-spline axle shafts in the bargain.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals