• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery drain

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Ford Fusion, idk the year but it looks like a Cadillac cts. Battery dies in cold weather. One terminal is covered in a layer of light blue corrosion. When I hooked jumper cables up, the + sparked a little. Is there any way to tell what is pulling the battery down.
Idk if it's related, but the drivers inside door handle is broken, you have to pull the locker with the handle to open it

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those handles break all the time. They are easy to replace, and probably not related to your battery draw.

The cable corrosion is also super common, more so on the V6 version for some reason. Maybe related, but probably not directly causing it. Get it cleaned up and get some cable saver pads on there ASAP. Those cable ends break and are pretty much impossible to replace short of a whole battery harness, which is not super fun to do.

As for the draw, you need to hook up a way to disconnect the battery while being able to not break the connection, but have it run through an amp meter on the negative side. Then drive the car for 15 to 20 minutes, get it all good and worked up, come back, hook up the meter, and, with both front doors open but the latches closed, unhook the battery. Draw should be no more than .05 amps after 20 minutes. If it is excessive start pulling fuses until it goes away, and see what that fuse powers.

Also check for relays that get hot during that test. I had an Edge once that only killed the battery after it rained (didn't know that part, I was told it was random), and on my third attempt to find the problem I was pulling a fuse and burnt my hand on the wiper relay that was stuck on.

Last edited:

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I know some Fords can drain a battery if one of the systems don't go into "sleep mode", I think it's supposed to be something like 15 minutes after the key is shut off.. (?)
Anyway, a way to check for "parasitic drain" is to use a VOM set for mV and measure across the two test points on any fuse, there will be a voltage drop across the fuse if there is a load on the circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On pretty much any car there will be a spark when you connect either battery cable if the other one is already connected.
There is the Radios clock and presets which get power all the time, there is also computers memory which also gets power all the time
If you have keyless entry then it needs power all the time, to detect when you press the fob button.
So not unusual to get a spark
These systems would take maybe 9 months to drain a good battery low enough for cold start issues

If battery issue happens in cold weather then its usually the battery itself
Batteries use a chemical reaction to store and discharge amps, this reaction slows way down as temp drops
Disconnect one cable and test battery voltage

12.8v is a new battery
12.5v is a 3 year old battery
12.3v is a 5/6 year old battery and time to shop for new battery on sale

12.2v and under is a dying battery, cold weather will kill it

If voltage is say 12.5v when you hook up the meter and then goes to 12.4v and then 12.3v you have a shorted cell in the battery, it will self drain

If battery voltage tests OK, leave battery disconnected over night then hook it back up in the morning, if it starts engine OK then yes you have a Drain in the vehicles electric system
If it doesn't start engine then battery is bad, regardless of above tests

Corrosion on battery terminals can be caused by alternator running at too high a voltage, which also shortens battery life.
The Corrosion is caused by vented gas from battery "overcharging" for long periods.

Take vehicle for 15 minute drive and don't shut it off when you stop, open hood and test battery voltage, should be under 14volts, 13.5-13.8v is spec
Generally it's 1.1 volts higher than At Rest battery voltage

At rest battery voltage is the voltage reading after battery sits for 4 to 8 hours i.e. like over night.
If its 12.5v then after 15min drive with engine idling it should be 13.6v

Vehicles with keyless entry should read about .07 amp draw after 30 minutes with key off and doors closed

Last edited:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree with RonD. Get some readings of the battery before thinking you have a parasitic draw. Also do you know how old the battery is? if its over 6-7 years then its probably time for a new battery if you had to jump it in the cold. If you door latch is broken then it wouldn't draw power from the battery unless it was sensing that the door wasn't shut. That would show door ajar on the dash and the dome lights would be on so that would be easy to tell if that is staying on after you shut it off.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Thanks to all of you for helping us figure this out. Not my car, a friend at work who has 0 mechanical skills and hit me with all this yesterday afternoon, on my way out of the building. I noticed the corrosion right away. quick jumpstart and he was on his way. I'll be willing to bet it is the Factory installed battery. OH btw it is a 2012Fusion. last of the Cadilac CopyCats, Right before the AstonMartin copycats.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If its a 2012 then it probably is the factory battery. Being 7 years old now it would be worth it to get a new battery anyway if you friend can afford it. The corrosion doesn't help either. I would start with a new battery and see if the issue continues.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Thanks again, new Battery is in the works

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
One thing I've learned from past experience, if the start up crank from cold is slow, it's probably time to change the battery. I'll check the manufacture date on the battery. More often than not, its 5 or more years old (usually 5). I've only had one battery last longer and it was the OEM Honda battery in my CR-V (Panasonic). Not a solid rule of thumb for everyone but that has been my experience. Rather than chance getting stuck somewhere, I'll swap the battery before it become a real problem.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Theres only been twice in my life I heard a battery lasting 10 years. This is normally only when they are kept in garages, drove daily but not long distances. The one person was an older gentlemen and we were shocked when we saw his battery lasted 10 years. I've gotten 8 years off the cheap Walmart batteries shockingly. That vehicle was drove daily for the first 4-5 years and then sat outside and randomly started here and there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals