• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 mystery wire

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In the middle of my head swap on my 88. I'm moving the wiring harness to the fire wall. Just felt it would look better and be out of the way. In the process I guess I got a little too cut happy and cut a wire about 2 inches from the damn plug because I'm an idiot. Now it's all going back together and I'm connecting all the wires and this is the one wire that I cant seem to remember where it went to. Any help would be great. From the original placement it would be on the engine harness on the left side of the engine. It's a single wire (black with green stripe) with a single black plug on it.

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I posted a imgur picture url itd not showing up though. I'm thinking it's a ground but I dont know for sure, and not sure if it's the ground end I cut or the end that runs to something important

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I can only think of one place a connector like that belongs in an 88 2.9 harness, and the wires should be black and white, not green. But it is a ground.

When you say it was on the left of the engine bay, is that my left looking at the truck, or the truck's left?

The connector I am thinking of lives near the battery and actually hooks to the negative cable.

86 and 87 used that style for the fuel pump connection, but it would be at pink and black wire.

Now for the last question, if you were just doing a simple head job, why were you cutting wires?

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wish I could get the dang picture to load but the url isnt working. I want to move the harness to the firewall. A couple wires I cut had to be extended to move the harness. Nothing major just a few more inches. But I also was removing the harness just to get out of the way and I went through the loom and made sure no wires were split or corroded. The guy before did a crappy job fixing what happend to be a mouse attack and a lot of wires became unusable. So while I had everything apart waiting for the new heads to come in I decided it would be the best time to do it. I put new loom on the harness and checked everything out. This wire I remember cutting but I couldve just unplugged it. On the harness side of the plug it is black/green. On the other side of the plug it is solid black. I'm starting to worry about colors though, I found the 02 sensor was wired wrong and none of the harness colors matched the hanes diagram so I had to bust out the multimeter and trace them to the pcm. To wire a new plug in correctly. This truck has had several different hands in it and god knows what's really been swapped out. I'll check out the terminal wiring here in a bit

rangeron33s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I couldn't wait so I just checked it out. It did run to the terminal. Well I appreciate it that sums up one of my problems. Also found that one of the holes in the lower intake for the valve cover bolt was stripped. Just did my first heli coil on that hope it holds up. Doubting my tap job a little. Accidentally wallered the hole a little when I was drilling. Also thought it was missing a harmonic balancer bolt, only to find that it's actually just snapped off in the crank. But those are topics for another thread, appreciate the help as always.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals