Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Steering

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
eREdge

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: Daily
eREdge is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Wheel Play/Slack

hey guys, as the title suggest i have been dealing with some play in the steering wheel since i have owned the truck.

The problem doesnt affect my driving, i can move the Steering wheel about an inch side to side while driving without it moving the truck at all. My concern is something in the steering system has worn out and can fail at any moment and lose control while driving.

The previous owner had changed the Rack and Pinion to try and fix the issue and the suspension parts are about a year old and in excellent condition.
i can twist the steering shaft back and forth but it doesnt move when the steering wheel is locked. the steering wheel in the other hand, still has play while locked.

i have searched the forums and only came across this topic in early 90s and 80s Rangers with a steering box. i cant find the steering shaft at parts stores or rock auto. is changing the part as simple as unbolting the two bolts at each end? The service manual says i have to disconnect power steering lines and a bunch of other work.

Pics below of the steering shaft
https://ibb.co/zhS3Xyw
https://ibb.co/S6j0NDs
https://ibb.co/zN7Kyj2
https://ibb.co/qptpVgT
https://ibb.co/r6K1stH
eREdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

on a 2002 the rack is generally real good.

there are a series of u joints on the inside of the cab and the outside. simple enough to check them all and the tierods and rack mounting.

the rack grommets may be squishy...an inch is not much for a truck. but if it happened suddenly look it the system.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
pjtoledo
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 2000 2005 199
Vehicle Make: Fords
Vehicle Model: Rangers Taurus SHO 5spd
I use this vehicle for: going to Cabelas
My credo: get outta my way, I'm falling!
pjtoledo has a spectacular aura aboutpjtoledo has a spectacular aura about

the second pic shows the slider. the smaller square shaft slides into the larger during a front collision. the square shafts can become loose and easily produce play. it only take a few thousands there to get 1" on the wheel.

that dirty u-joint needs a close inspection.

do you ever push the truck around the driveway without the engine running? without power assist it puts a lot of stress on the column and shafts. that causes play.
pjtoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
eREdge

Thanks for the replies guys but I'm still not clear on what I'm supposed to be looking at. I checked the parts mentioned but not sure how I'm supposed to rule them out. Like I mentioned, the tie rods and suspension are good I have already checked them.

The truck has never been in a serious accident other than the previous owner accidentally leaving the truck in neutral and hitting a small tree leaving a dent in the front bumper
Old 01-09-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

look under the dash where the column goes through the firewall...theres a series of joints....wiggle the wheel and look for play or loose bolts ect...

maybe there was a heater core replacement at one point and things are loose.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
eREdge

Thanks bobby I'll take a look tomorrow or this weekend and report back