• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual to Electric shift T-Case

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I MIGHT have the oppertunity to buy a Bronco II here soon. It has a 5-Speed manual transmission with a manual floor shift transfer case. This being said I would like to swap the drivetrain from my 1991 2.9 Auto Ranger into the 1990 Bronco II. The Ranger is getting 4.0 swapped but the 2.9 that is in it only has about 30k on it since rebuilt so the engine would be great for the B2. The 5-Speed & manual T-Case would be great for the Ranger also. My thought is to just buy a 2nd manual T-Case to go back into the Bronco II once I get the original one put in the Ranger rather than put the electric one from the Ranger into the Bronco II. My question is how do the 4x4 dash indicators hook up? I know it may sound silly but I want them to work, especially in the Ranger which is a restoration project. I dont know if it is plug and play on both manual and electric shift transfer cases when it comes to that. Any other tips are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
both should have gen 2 dashboards. just trans plant the shift related wiring in its entirety...though you may have to make them longer for the b2. plus a mounting bracket. not always, but often there is a rpo harness in place which only requires fuses and the shift pcm/dash switch to be installed.

problem is the trans is not as robust as the m5odr1 if its a 146.....but the bronco may already have an r1 swapped in it. i killed a couple 146 with a 4.0 in the b2 quicker then i hoped for... but with reasonable driving it can make it.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Ah, I see.

It may be better for me to just buy a different donor truck then. I plan on supercharging the 4.0 (200 hp is my goal)
and I figure the M5ODR1 is probably a better idea. The Bronco II is completely stock and has been owned by an elderly man so I think it is pretty unlikely that it has been swapped. Any info on how early the Rangers came with the M5ODR1's?

If I did buy the Bronco II, I probably wouldn't swap the electric shift into it. I would just buy a 2nd manual one to replace the one that had originally been in its place. I am just curious as to how the dash indicator
"4x4" and "Low Range" lights are connected to the manual compared to the electric.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I MIGHT have the oppertunity to buy a Bronco II here soon. It has a 5-Speed manual transmission with a manual floor shift transfer case. This being said I would like to swap the drivetrain from my 1991 2.9 Auto Ranger into the 1990 Bronco II. The Ranger is getting 4.0 swapped but the 2.9 that is in it only has about 30k on it since rebuilt so the engine would be great for the B2. The 5-Speed & manual T-Case would be great for the Ranger also. My thought is to just buy a 2nd manual T-Case to go back into the Bronco II once I get the original one put in the Ranger rather than put the electric one from the Ranger into the Bronco II. My question is how do the 4x4 dash indicators hook up? I know it may sound silly but I want them to work, especially in the Ranger which is a restoration project. I dont know if it is plug and play on both manual and electric shift transfer cases when it comes to that. Any other tips are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

If that's a FM146, I have cash and high fives. [emoji23]

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4WD dash lights "work" the same in both manual and electric shift transfer cases

Both lights get 12v with key on
With electric the 4x4 module grounds each bulb when in 4high or 4low, and no ground in 2WD

For manual there is a switch in the transfer case with a 2 wire connector, each wire is a Ground for 1 of the bulbs, and grounds it when in 4high or 4low, no ground in 2WD or Neutral

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
The 4WD dash lights "work" the same in both manual and electric shift transfer cases

Both lights get 12v with key on
With electric the 4x4 module grounds each bulb when in 4high or 4low, and no ground in 2WD

For manual there is a switch in the transfer case with a 2 wire connector, each wire is a Ground for 1 of the bulbs, and grounds it when in 4high or 4low, no ground in 2WD or Neutral
Thanks for the info! That is exactly what I was looking for!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals