Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Events - Recreation - Survival > Overlanding & Camping Gear

Notices

Overlanding & Camping Gear Including truck campers, camper shells (toppers), campers, & tents.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
gungfudan
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B3000
I use this vehicle for: work and learning more about vehicles
gungfudan is on a distinguished road
Default What pull behind Camper?

I have a 94 Mazda B3000 it has 51,000 original miles on it. I bought it this year and when I bought it it only had 49,000 on it. I have upgraded the alternator to 130 amps and removed the belt driven fan. Everything else is stock. My next step is to get a class 3 hitch and add the trailer light hookup. Then I am going to get a 4.10 rear end. My wife and I have been talking about buying a camper for 3 yrs now. I know I am limited to lightweight campers but I also donít want to make payments on a camper. We are going to save up for one. I really donít know what brand to look at. It has to have an shower and toilet because my wife has a thing about using public restrooms.

I would like something no more than 2,500 lbs. Any suggestions on brand or type?
gungfudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 12-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000.../dp/B0009PUT20

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Elephan...g+toilet&psc=1

Open up any options?

Hardside or soft for a camper?

I have a customer that thinks I need to buy his popup and it was briefly tempting for the TRS roundup until he mentioned it really old and while it had been stored inside he wouldn't guarantee what has been inside of it... and is basically a tent on a trailer.

My wifey isn't bad with public restrooms and whatnot BUT it would be really nice to have a sink with running water for dishes.

While trying to figure out exactly a 1967 Apache Silver Buffalo was after he left (I didn't know they did popups back far) and it looked like most popups seem to age out around 20 years. They get pretty sparse after the mid 90's.

Check out my Build Thread

Check out my NAIAS Ranger Trip

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.

Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 12-30-2018 at 08:02 PM.
85_Ranger4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
gungfudan
Supporting Member

Yeah my wife would flip me off if I showed her that.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
gungfudan
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000.../dp/B0009PUT20

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Elephan...g+toilet&psc=1

Open up any options?

Hardside or soft for a camper?

I have a customer that thinks I need to buy his popup and it was briefly tempting for the TRS roundup until he mentioned it really old and while it had been stored inside he wouldn't guarantee what has been inside of it... and is basically a tent on a trailer.

My wifey isn't bad with public restrooms and whatnot BUT it would be really nice to have a sink with running water for dishes.

While trying to figure out exactly a 1967 Apache Silver Buffalo was after he left (I didn't know they did popups back far) and it looked like most popups seem to age out around 20 years. They get pretty sparse after the mid 90's.
Hard side would be nice because I donít think the soft would be comfortable in the cold.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

if your going to pull might consider putting mechanical fan back.

sub 3 k popups wont be bad.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
gungfudan
Supporting Member

What about an in bed camper? Building one? From https://www.boatdesigns.com/mobile/R...partments/696/

Are the plans made for full size trucks?
Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

if you run a big in bed or any trailer taller then a pop up and plan to go to elevation definitely put the mechanical fan on for trips.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Uncle Gump

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Sport
I use this vehicle for: Putting Chicago in my rearview mirror
My credo: Lead, Follow or get out of my way
Uncle Gump is on a distinguished road

Probably gonna be hard to find a slide in with a shower and toilet for a small truck.

I have an 84 Skamper and there is no room for any of that. It is fairly comfortable for two though...
Uncle Gump is online now   Reply With Quote