• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello, All-

Zark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I own a 1988 Ford Ranger extended cab, 2wd. 2.3l 4 banger. At 90,000 miles it has mostly sat for its life. I've replaced the front rotors, brake calipers, clutch, clutch slave cylinder, cap, rotor & spark plugs, all filters & fluids. It's developed a stumble after it runs about 10 miles or so. I think the tank uptake is not working right. Any Ideas? The spark plugs that came out of it looked great. It sailed through DEQ. They remarked on how clean it ran. Starts right up, runs smooth for about 10-15 minutes

Zark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I own a 1988 Ford Ranger extended cab, 2wd. 2.3l 4 banger. At 90,000 miles it has mostly sat for its life. I've replaced the front rotors, brake calipers, clutch, clutch slave cylinder, cap, rotor & spark plugs, all filters & fluids. It's developed a stumble after it runs about 10 miles or so. I think the tank uptake is not working right. Any Ideas? The spark plugs that came out of it looked great. It sailed through DEQ. They remarked on how clean it ran. Starts right up, runs smooth for about 10-15 minutes
Is there a fuel strainer that could be plugged somewhere?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IIRC, there is 2 fuel pumps in those years. There is a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure along the frame rail about where the front of the door lies. There is a fuel filter after the frame pump hidden behind a bracket. There can also be a fuel accumulator before the pump that sometimes has a filter. Probably best not to do anything with the accumulator as they are not made anymore. There is a sock on the low pressure pump.
I would get a fuel pressure gauge and use it while driving. Take the hood off if you have to in order to see the gauge. Fuel pressure should be 40psi.

Zark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
IIRC, there is 2 fuel pumps in those years. There is a low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure along the frame rail about where the front of the door lies. There is a fuel filter after the frame pump hidden behind a bracket. There can also be a fuel accumulator before the pump that sometimes has a filter. Probably best not to do anything with the accumulator as they are not made anymore. There is a sock on the low pressure pump.
I would get a fuel pressure gauge and use it while driving. Take the hood off if you have to in order to see the gauge. Fuel pressure should be 40psi.
Thanks. It does have a filter in the collector before the high pressure fuel pump, and another filter after that. Both of those have been changed. I'm guessing what's happening is the low-pressure pump isn't working, It's running till the collector drains. Just a guess. Is there a separate fuse for the low pressure pump somewhere?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Use a fuel pressure regulator and you won't have to guess...lol. There should be a fitting on the fuel rail If pressure doesn't drop when the problem happens then start looking at electrical.

Zark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes common sense & doing the simple stuff first saves you. If i didn't find the culprit, I found an accomplice. This just felt like a miss, but sometimes, usually starting out and idling, it ran smooth-ish. Changed the fuel filters, cleaned the K&H air filter, replaced the cap, rotor & coil. Only 5000 miles on a set of Iridium plugs, & the set before that looked great. Found the #3 plug had been misfiring after the plug wire came out in pieces. Thewire end looked like lots of arcing had been going on. New plug wires already on the way. If that was the problem, I should be set for a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals