• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2.3 air intake question MAF/MAP

Yamidora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey there,

For better understanding here's a short story.
Several years ago I bought a 1990 Ranger 2.3 single cab. 7 previous owners have worked on this car and nobody knows anything about the wiring on this car. Since I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine and the truck itself i bought a doner vehicle from 1992 same engine.
The doner has a clean engine wiring harness the only thing bothering me is that my truck has a MAP sensor and the doner vehicle got a MAF senson.

So my question is, have there been several versions of the 2.3 liter engine? Or is it possible that my truck just got the MAF removed? Just wondering since it's been running on pretty low mileage/liter.

Best regards from Germany

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, MAP or MAF was not uncommon, but it has to do with the computer software not the engine.

MAP sensor is not as precise in determining air WEIGHT, so Ford started switching computers over to MAF software in late 1980's early 1990's

MAP system is also called Speed Density system

MAF was better for emissions so that was also a factor, Calif cars/trucks were first to get MAF
So a 1991 ranger may have a MAP sensor/computer in every other sate but a MAF sensor/computer if it was first sold in Calif.

So match the computer you will use with correct wiring harness and sensors

Engine wasn't part of this, 2.3l SOHC engines came with both types, and also carburetors, over their 27 year life span

Air WEIGHT
Gasoline engines need an air:fuel ratio of 14.7:1
And this is a WEIGHT ratio not volume
14.7 POUNDS of air to 1 POUND of gasoline
14.7 grams of air to 1 gram of gasoline

Doesn't matter how much you vaporize it, lol, 14.7 to 1 is the WEIGHT ratio needed

Cold air weighs more than hot air, "hot air rises" because it lighter
Air is thinner/lighter at 3,000ft elevation than at sea level.

MAP sensor detects pressure changes in intake manifold, so just guessing at air weight
MAF sensor uses a heated wire in the air stream, the more the wire is cooled the heavier the air.
Both also use a Intake air temp(IAT) sensor to off set for air temp

The MAF sensor is more precise in detecting air weight so better MPG and lower emissions

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yep, the 2.3L's in Ranger's switched in early '90 model year from MAP to MAF, and like Ron said there is no difference in the engine, just the wiring and the computer to go to the appropriate sensors. If you look in the tech library in the turbo swap section there are a few wiring diagrams, I believe one for a '91 Ranger which will be MAF and I believe a '85 or '86 Ranger that will be MAP (that harness will be slightly different as it has a distributor so no DIS, but close enough)

The physical engine was the same from '89 to pretty much '95 when the oil pump moved on some models and the crank sensor changed. The only other differences is the automatic transmission 2.3L's didn't get EGR for whatever reason and I think some had and some didn't have an EGR position sensor, and in '94 a DPFE sensor was added to keep track of EGR flow.

Yamidora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So if I want to use the harness from tge doner I would need to transfer the dashboard and both control units from the doner to mine aswell? Did I get that right?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No.

Nothing to do with dash board

The computer(EEC, PCM) either has software for MAF sensor or MAP sensor
You need to use the wiring harness that matches that computer/software
It will either have the wiring for MAF or MAP sensor
And thats the sensor you will need to have on your engine

If donor is MAF then move MAF sensor over to your engine, with the computer and its wiring harness
Removing old MAP wiring harness and computer
Trace vacuum hose for old MAP back to intake manifold and remove it, then cap that port on the manifold

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
or use the other intake manifold or throttle body depending on where the hose comes from...

The engine computer is in the kick panel on the passenger side of the cab, wires for it go through the firewall just under the blower motor if memory serves. The wires for the MAP or MAF are on the firewall or inner fender respectively (MAP is inset in the firewall just above the hoses for the heater core). There should be connectors where the engine harness interfaces with the dash, most likely on the drivers inner fender (I never looked into where those 3 connectors go wiring wise)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals