• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rust in Roof Rain Channels - Fix?

TimT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have rust in the rain channels on both sides of my '07 XLT. I'm expecting to have to take it to a body shop for the fix, and I want to do so ASAP so it doesn't spread.

My question is, is this area called the rain channel/gutter? How are they attached? Welded? Seems like a useless part to put on the truck unless it's for a rack or something. Just curious of the purpose, and if anyone else has seen this issue and its resolution.

Any idea of what the cost to fix would be? Assuming the rust isn't pervasive and is just surface.

Photos Attached

Thanks!

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Uselessness may vary. On older trucks that is where the side of the cab meets the top of the cab and is the seam where it is pinched and welded together.

Probably somewhat similar on yours, mine incorporates it into an actually rain gutter though.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
not good. not sure its an easy fix...be able to strip it out and slow it down though.

croatankid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'll do it myself
I have a similar situation. When it rains the head liner gets wet where the driver side sun visor is mounted. The only I can see is a very small hole in the seam seal between the top and the corner post. I'm going to check with a body man but I think I'll have to use a needle or something to pick the hole clean and then seal it with something. I don't have any rust inside but the head liner I'll replace. Your thoughts?

L5wolvesF

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2004
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi new guy here. How do you remove those pieces - "Drip Molding" is what Ford calls them? Or more specifically, do you have to take out the rear/side interior panels to get to the fasteners?

I need to clean up the area around there and reseal them.

Thank you

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
I have a similar situation. When it rains the head liner gets wet where the driver side sun visor is mounted. The only I can see is a very small hole in the seam seal between the top and the corner post. I'm going to check with a body man but I think I'll have to use a needle or something to pick the hole clean and then seal it with something. I don't have any rust inside but the head liner I'll replace. Your thoughts?

This is common on Gen1 and 2 trucks. Mine is the same, both sides. It will eventually cause a rust hole to appear in the roof. I ground mine out a filled it with kitty hair epoxy. I also used a brass wheel to strip all the old seam sealer out of the gutter and redid it. You can get the sealer at a parts store, I use DynaTron Seam Sealer. This took care of most of the problem, but recently, I found it didn't 100% fix. I ended up pulling the windshoeld trim and found that the metal on the drivers side had delaminated and had pinholes in it where the gutter welds in. I ground it out and put a layer of kittyhair on it, then I'll sand and paint. On the pass side, I found pinholes in the upper corner of the door frame and under the front edge of the gutter where it sits on the A pillar. Ground them out and filled. Will see if that holds, not sure what the best fix is.

Hope this helps a bit.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I am in the same boat right now. I am going to take all door seals and drip edges of since we are already doing body work anyways. I am going to try and seal all of it. Luckily my buddy is working on a 65 and has seam sealer and everything I need.By the way the drip molding has nuts fastening them from the inside of the truck. You have to remove the inside rear panels to see them from the inside. There are holes in the cab to access them.

L5wolvesF

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2004
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I am in the same boat right now. I am going to take all door seals and drip edges of since we are already doing body work anyways. I am going to try and seal all of it. Luckily my buddy is working on a 65 and has seam sealer and everything I need.By the way the drip molding has nuts fastening them from the inside of the truck. You have to remove the inside rear panels to see them from the inside. There are holes in the cab to access them.
Thank you for the info. Now I can plan for how long it might take and how much work. I'll try to get pics to post up here. Good luck on yours.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I found my leak today. I stripped the interior and ran the water hose over both sides of the roof. The seam sealer in the area were the extended cab meets the rockers on both sides split and water was running in from the bottom. Rain would run down the the door jam and the path was perfect for the water to track in. I had one place up top on a factory crimp seam that was leaking past the sealer. I am going to address both of these this weekend along with priming and painting the rain channels up top.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals