• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is this connector for?

jandm9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 Mazda B4000. I can't find anything to tell me what this underdash connector is for. It seems to be labeled ATS.
I'm sure someone on here knows exactly what is for.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, ATS. "Anti-Theft System".

It is an add-on anti-theft. You pull that key and the engine won't start. My dad had a 93 Chevy vanhad one just like that installed at the dealer. The system in that van was recalled for problems and removed. Maybe yours is from a different manufacturer, but a similar design. The key does look a little different than the one we had.

jandm9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Ah ha! thanks for solving that mystery. Not sure if it is hooked up or not. As shown in the pics when it was glowing green the engine was on and running.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Keep in mind that I was born in 86, we bought that van new in 93, and the system was removed sometime around 95 or 96.

But as I remember it, it was a start-inhibit only. So once the engine was running you could pull the key out and it would stay running. They were recalled after a number of them decided they just weren't going to work at all and people couldn't start their cars.

It was probably caused by the contacts on the keys and socket getting worn out. I know we had some minor issues, but we were advised by the dealer to stick the second security key in and leave it in, and we didn't have any more problems until it was removed. I also know that wear on the contacts were what caused GM's Passkey I and II systems to be so problematic.

jandm9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I believe some electrical tape is in order to make sure it stays in.

babybigfoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 Mazda B400
Transmission
Manual
I had one on my 91 Chevy. More trouble to keep up with than keys. The only time I ever took mine out is if I was going to leave my truck parked for long periods. It would not crank if it was out but if it was already running when you pulled it out it would stay running. Chevys were a little more boxy of a key that looked a lot like an OBD plug in. And you had to pull on them to get them out.

jandm9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
The Chevy version sounds a little better designed. This one will drop out easily. I can see them getting lost on a regular basis.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals