• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel injector problems??

fordalltheway

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks ago my v6 3.0 in my 99 ranger start to run real rough, check engine light came on. Reported one code with a misfire on cyl #1. The injector was reading open with a multimeter. So I decided to replace all 6 fuel injectors. I used a Standard motor products # FJ712T as I was told by the distributor that's what I needed. They looked very close but quite the same as the original ford one especially the nozzle. Put them in reset the light and all works well, Smooth idle all fixed. A few miles down the road the check engine light comes back on this time with codes PO171 and PO174, lean fuel. I've checked everywhere for vac leak and loose hoses... none. I'm pretty sure the intake gasket is good (I replaced it). Is this the correct injector? Does it not like them because they are not ford injectors? Maybe the MAFS is bad?? Seems a little hard to believe. It is running 100% normal. Anyone had problems with after market injectors?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Is your PCV valve and PCV hose in good working condition? I've seen a PCV issue throw these codes before, only on a 4.0 liter.

fordalltheway

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
PCV is good. Good thought...

I investigated more and I have the wrong injector. I called the distributer and they said oops we sent you the wrong thing.. we're sorry. I should have SIFJ305. The other is for a 94. The bad thing is the wrong one looks very close, fits exactly and even runs well. I considered taking it to a shop playing dumb and saying the check engine light was on and letting them figure it out. I bet that would have made them pull their hair out and charge me with a bunch of new sensors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals